Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASpeed Preparing AST2600 DisplayPort Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ASpeed Preparing AST2600 DisplayPort Support

    Phoronix: ASpeed Preparing AST2600 DisplayPort Support

    Going back two years already ASpeed developers have been working on prepping AST2600 support for Linux, their seventh generation server management processor / BMC. The latest open-source driver activity points to the AST2600 having DisplayPort support...

    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...00-DisplayPort

  • #2
    We need to replace legacy VGA/usbA combo in the datacenters ... My calendar says 2021 and will soon turn to 2022 and we're still using analog video?
    Servers will benefit from a single usbC connection at the back carrying all of KVM functionality plus maybe some more. Just the space saved will increase airflow and enable further innovation ...

    Comment


    • #3
      Nice! There is finally hope for Server Mainboards with usable onboard display-out.
      very useful for my home-servers

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by pegasus View Post
        Servers will benefit from a single usbC connection at the back carrying all of KVM functionality
        Yes, hopefully. But I have the suspicion that the AST2600 will not speak USB-C directly but leave to the server vendor to implement a mux, which will cause again inconsistent landscape.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          Yes, hopefully. But I have the suspicion that the AST2600 will not speak USB-C directly but leave to the server vendor to implement a mux, which will cause again inconsistent landscape.
          The journey of 1000 miles...

          Fully-integrated USB-C + DisplayPort mode, maybe also a USB serial device; this is all ideal, but that's a much more expensive chip to develop.

          Comment


          • #6
            dual core cortex-A7 is more than enough to use as BMC,
            Basically it will provide a web based interface, like the Hilo in HPs or Idracs in Dell..at least is how I see it..

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: ASpeed Preparing AST2600 DisplayPort Support

              Going back two years already ASpeed developers have been working on prepping AST2600 support for Linux, their seventh generation server management processor / BMC. The latest open-source driver activity points to the AST2600 having DisplayPort support...

              https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...00-DisplayPort
              Funny, it was just a few days ago that we were debating the merits of dropping support for 32 bit arm, and here we have a brand new product launch that uses it. Lol.

              Comment


              • #8
                Well ... almost two years ago, when I got my Asrock Rack X470D4U2-2T for my home server, I thought about waiting for the AST2600 to appear on boards. Glad I didn't wait.
                DisplayPort would be really nice for the integrated video - but I'd prefer a "real" GPU with some basic acceleration even more. Just a very power efficient thing that does a bit of Vulkan and some video decoding - just enough for simple desktop usage, as everything seems to head towards a Vulkan future.
                (and yes, I do have a graphical environment installed on my server as it makes many thing just a tad bit more comfortable when playing around with it)

                Comment

                Working...
                X