Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASpeed Preparing AST2600 DisplayPort Support

Phoronix: ASpeed Preparing AST2600 DisplayPort Support

Going back two years already ASpeed developers have been working on prepping AST2600 support for Linux, their seventh generation server management processor / BMC. The latest open-source driver activity points to the AST2600 having DisplayPort support...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...00-DisplayPort

We need to replace legacy VGA/usbA combo in the datacenters ... My calendar says 2021 and will soon turn to 2022 and we're still using analog video?
    Servers will benefit from a single usbC connection at the back carrying all of KVM functionality plus maybe some more. Just the space saved will increase airflow and enable further innovation ...

Comment

Nice! There is finally hope for Server Mainboards with usable onboard display-out.
      very useful for my home-servers

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
        Servers will benefit from a single usbC connection at the back carrying all of KVM functionality
        Yes, hopefully. But I have the suspicion that the AST2600 will not speak USB-C directly but leave to the server vendor to implement a mux, which will cause again inconsistent landscape.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
          Yes, hopefully. But I have the suspicion that the AST2600 will not speak USB-C directly but leave to the server vendor to implement a mux, which will cause again inconsistent landscape.
          The journey of 1000 miles...

Fully-integrated USB-C + DisplayPort mode, maybe also a USB serial device; this is all ideal, but that's a much more expensive chip to develop.

Comment

dual core cortex-A7 is more than enough to use as BMC,
            Basically it will provide a web based interface, like the Hilo in HPs or Idracs in Dell..at least is how I see it..

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Phoronix: ASpeed Preparing AST2600 DisplayPort Support

Going back two years already ASpeed developers have been working on prepping AST2600 support for Linux, their seventh generation server management processor / BMC. The latest open-source driver activity points to the AST2600 having DisplayPort support...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...00-DisplayPort
              Funny, it was just a few days ago that we were debating the merits of dropping support for 32 bit arm, and here we have a brand new product launch that uses it. Lol.

Comment

Well ... almost two years ago, when I got my Asrock Rack X470D4U2-2T for my home server, I thought about waiting for the AST2600 to appear on boards. Glad I didn't wait.
                DisplayPort would be really nice for the integrated video - but I'd prefer a "real" GPU with some basic acceleration even more. Just a very power efficient thing that does a bit of Vulkan and some video decoding - just enough for simple desktop usage, as everything seems to head towards a Vulkan future.
                (and yes, I do have a graphical environment installed on my server as it makes many thing just a tad bit more comfortable when playing around with it)

Comment

Working...
                X