X.Org Server 21.1 RC2 Brings Fix For Mixed VRR/Non-VRR Multi-Monitor Setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
    It is basically a waste of time at this point. People who are still using Xorg should be happy they get some features and fixes still i suppose, but it is a dead end and i don't think Xorg 22.1 will appear sooner than 4-5 years from now, if at all. It is better for those who still use it to do the work to migrate to Wayland instead.
    To a degree, I agree. 3+ years in "Internet time" might as well be a decade. A lot of the world has moved on when it seemed pretty certain Xorg was a dead end. But, we could all be proven wrong. But it sure feels like whiplash. I guess I could make the analogy for Xorg to Thunderbird. In 2012, it got put on life support. Then in late 2019, it was resuscitated and they have some new blood bringing it up to date. But, there's 8+ years of code that got left to rot, devs left, etc. But in the 2+ years since it got revived, it's come a LONG way. I made the joke that it was like a car someone left in their driveway covered with a tarp and years later someone turned the key and all manner of smoke, noise and rattling ensued. There's still a long way to go but progress has been encouraging. For that same situation to happen to Xorg, I can't say I'm super optimistic. But, history and new energy may prove us both wrong. Maybe 2+ years from now all the functionality gripes of Wayland will get figured out. Or not. Maybe in 2+ years all the Xorg rat's nest will get untangled. Or not.

My observations of Linux (over the past 25+ years that I've loosely tinkered with it (anyone remember Corel Linux? LOL)) are that lately it seems there is a strong trend toward wanting Linux to be a stronger gaming platform. That's only going to happen with a newer and better Xorg / Wayland and continued Mesa development. Seeing as how Povilas Kanapickas came out of Unity, there might be something to his personal motivations. He's "self employed" presently which we all know translates to "lot's of time on his hands."

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
      Sure is quiet here.
      So you want Wayland fanboy trolls to crawl out of the woodwork?

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

So you want Wayland fanboy trolls to crawl out of the woodwork?
        Nah, I was going the opposite way. Surprised more Xorg fans weren’t coming out of the woodwork. This is great news. Probably afraid of the Wayland bullies of the forum

Comment

im pretty sure the Xorg Developer mentioned this would be the last Release of Xorg

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
            Im glad the community is being reasonable and is actually maintaining
            you mean lone developer tries to keep it on life support

Comment

Originally posted by kozman View Post
              [...] I guess I could make the analogy for Xorg to Thunderbird. In 2012, it got put on life support. Then in late 2019, it was resuscitated and they have some new blood bringing it up to date. [...]
              Sorry nope. Wrong analogy - among others because of project complexity, size and external dependencies. Thunderbird is a piece of software that is actually a client for well known upstream protocols and standards. When x.org is in fact a standard and protocol on its own. Moreover you need support from hardware manufacturers - at least with publicly available specifications but still someone needs to implement it.

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
              Im glad the community is being reasonable and is actually maintaining a piece of software that is still being used by the majority of distros.
              I don't want to bum you out ... but x.org is actually dead. AFAIK the main horsepower in x.org were people from RH. https://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2019/...orkstation-31/ read Wayland 4th paragraph. This post comes from the middle of 2019 and it is happening now.

Comment

And now, we wait for the guinea pigs to report back: https://lwn.net/Articles/874152/

Comment

Working...
                X