Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.16 To Feature More Extensible VirtIO GPU Driver With "Context Types" Addition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Quackdoc

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    chances are it will not work under "dxvk and relevant wine code" either
    well to be fair, anyone with a windows install can verify that by simply dumping the dxvk binaries in the app folder and it should use it.

Leave a comment:

• pal666

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    Not everything works under Wine, unfortunately.
    chances are it will not work under "dxvk and relevant wine code" either
    pal666
    Last edited by pal666; 05 October 2021, 02:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc

• Quackdoc
    replied
    afair linux steam already can be run from container, why would you want to make it more containerized than containerized?
    chromeOS runs linux binaries in a debian VM. steam will run within the debian VM, or spin up a separate one specifically for steam. not sure which one. but if steam has its own binary, it does make it nice to keep everything consolidated and neat from the chrome app store I guess? but in the end it doesn't really matter. as this work isn't really relevant for steam, but rather future extensibility.

if anything, the closest benefit that would be achieved would be android VM. whether it be in ChromeOS or any other virtio-gpu. as GFXstream, the only immediate candidate for this that I know of, only currently supports android. Mesa has no support for it at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• timofonic

• timofonic
    replied
    why not just use dxvk and relevant wine code to run your game without any vm?
    Not everything works under Wine, unfortunately.

Leave a comment:

• pal666

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by vb_linux View Post
    The work is being done in preparation for Steam on ChromeOS. Like the Linux and Android containers, Steam will be self-contained in a VM.

So, in a way, this makes Steam more containerized and safe.
    afair linux steam already can be run from container, why would you want to make it more containerized than containerized?
    Also, would this make Steam GPU and its driver agnostic?
    i think it's already gpu and its driver agnostic

Leave a comment:

• pal666

• pal666
    replied
    3D hardware acceleration in Virtual Machines without PCIe passthrough as in VMware but even a lot better, supporting latest DirectX versions.

This would make possible to run video games and professional software at near nativeperformance without requiring the exclusive usage of a dGPU for it.

I don't care if it's done by Google engineers, Microsoft engineers or ancient aliens. I want it!
    why not just use dxvk and relevant wine code to run your game without any vm?

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc

• Quackdoc
    replied
    The work is being done in preparation for Steam on ChromeOS. Like the Linux and Android containers, Steam will be self-contained in a VM.

So, in a way, this makes Steam more containerized and safe. Also, would this make Steam GPU and its driver agnostic?

ChromeOS is open source and a form of Linux. The way Linux and Android app support has been added to ChromeOS is safety first. I really love it, as I buy Chromebooks for my son(school mandated) and my parents. It is pretty much unbreakable for them. They could break any other OS and I was tired of being tech support of the family.
    To be clear, whats being talked about here is NOT venus (Im not even sure venus support needs this) which is what you are talking about, nor is it gfxstream support that is what is being talked about in the article, (android's cuttlefish uses this for graphics acceleration, and is COMPLETELY separate project from virgl venus which is what you are pointing at I don't know of anything else that uses gfxstream).

So what is this specifically, is Virtio context init. which is a switch that will allow you to change virtio-gpu from, GL or/and venus, and other protocols. THIS DOESN'T MEAN GFXstream is coming to linux, nor does it mean virtio-gpu is getting support for wayland passthrough, this is ONLY adding the future capability for it.

As for adding wayland support, I could see this coming, and it would essentially allow "seemless" setups for linux guests. this is what chromeOS uses. and what spectrum os will use. I would love to see this added upstream and qemu support, as it would make my usecase of running 4 vms for different things much more elegant. at least I think this is what is being referenced in the article. could be mistaken, but regardless here is a writeup on it.
    https://alyssa.is/using-virtio-wl/

Leave a comment:

• vb_linux
    Phoronix Member

• vb_linux
    replied
    Please use DXVK and relevant Wine code for DirectX.

Please...
    I think this is for their Steam Borealis effort. So, Directx support comes through Valve and proton.

Leave a comment:

• vb_linux
    Phoronix Member

• vb_linux
    replied

So, in a way, this makes Steam more containerized and safe. Also, would this make Steam GPU and its driver agnostic?

ChromeOS is open source and a form of Linux. The way Linux and Android app support has been added to ChromeOS is safety first. I really love it, as I buy Chromebooks for my son(school mandated) and my parents. It is pretty much unbreakable for them. They could break any other OS and I was tired of being tech support of the family.

Leave a comment:

• Quackdoc

• Quackdoc
    replied
    Please use DXVK and relevant Wine code for DirectX.

Please...
    for you to have a windows driver you need to implement d3dumd the closest thing we have for this would be to port g9 to umd, and then d3d10umd to zink, and use that for base windows acceleration, then use dxvk on a per app level. that would be the best solution in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X