Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.16 To Feature More Extensible VirtIO GPU Driver With "Context Types" Addition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.16 To Feature More Extensible VirtIO GPU Driver With "Context Types" Addition

Phoronix: Linux 5.16 To Feature More Extensible VirtIO GPU Driver With "Context Types" Addition

Google's work on the VirtIO DRM kernel driver around the notion of "context types" and being able to initialize different types of contexts is set to be merged for Linux 5.16 in opening up more use-cases for this driver that is an important part of the open-source virtualization graphics stack for graphics...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Please use DXVK and relevant Wine code for DirectX.

Please...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post

Please...
      I have never used Chrome OS and I only spent 10 minutes to read about it in relation to the pull request. Please correct me if I misunderstood you.
      • Why would someone build DirectX into a device driver?
      • Why would Chrome OS engineers want to support DirectX (or even D3D) on CrosVM?
      • How would you use DirectX if Linux had virtio support for it?
        • You can't run PE binaries. If you are planning to use Windows or ReactOS then you will need to write virtio drivers for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

I have never used Chrome OS and I only spent 10 minutes to read about it in relation to the pull request. Please correct me if I misunderstood you.
        • Why would someone build DirectX into a device driver?
        • Why would Chrome OS engineers want to support DirectX (or even D3D) on CrosVM?
        • How would you use DirectX if Linux had virtio support for it?
          • You can't run PE binaries. If you are planning to use Windows or ReactOS then you will need to write virtio drivers for that.
        3D hardware acceleration in Virtual Machines without PCIe passthrough as in VMware but even a lot better, supporting latest DirectX versions.

This would make possible to run video games and professional software at near nativeperformance without requiring the exclusive usage of a dGPU for it.

I don't care if it's done by Google engineers, Microsoft engineers or ancient aliens. I want it!
        Last edited by timofonic; 30 September 2021, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Please...
          for you to have a windows driver you need to implement d3dumd the closest thing we have for this would be to port g9 to umd, and then d3d10umd to zink, and use that for base windows acceleration, then use dxvk on a per app level. that would be the best solution in my opinion.

Comment

The work is being done in preparation for Steam on ChromeOS. Like the Linux and Android containers, Steam will be self-contained in a VM.

So, in a way, this makes Steam more containerized and safe. Also, would this make Steam GPU and its driver agnostic?

ChromeOS is open source and a form of Linux. The way Linux and Android app support has been added to ChromeOS is safety first. I really love it, as I buy Chromebooks for my son(school mandated) and my parents. It is pretty much unbreakable for them. They could break any other OS and I was tired of being tech support of the family.

Comment

Please...
              I think this is for their Steam Borealis effort. So, Directx support comes through Valve and proton.

Comment

Originally posted by vb_linux View Post
                The work is being done in preparation for Steam on ChromeOS. Like the Linux and Android containers, Steam will be self-contained in a VM.

So, in a way, this makes Steam more containerized and safe. Also, would this make Steam GPU and its driver agnostic?

ChromeOS is open source and a form of Linux. The way Linux and Android app support has been added to ChromeOS is safety first. I really love it, as I buy Chromebooks for my son(school mandated) and my parents. It is pretty much unbreakable for them. They could break any other OS and I was tired of being tech support of the family.
                To be clear, whats being talked about here is NOT venus (Im not even sure venus support needs this) which is what you are talking about, nor is it gfxstream support that is what is being talked about in the article, (android's cuttlefish uses this for graphics acceleration, and is COMPLETELY separate project from virgl venus which is what you are pointing at I don't know of anything else that uses gfxstream).

So what is this specifically, is Virtio context init. which is a switch that will allow you to change virtio-gpu from, GL or/and venus, and other protocols. THIS DOESN'T MEAN GFXstream is coming to linux, nor does it mean virtio-gpu is getting support for wayland passthrough, this is ONLY adding the future capability for it.

As for adding wayland support, I could see this coming, and it would essentially allow "seemless" setups for linux guests. this is what chromeOS uses. and what spectrum os will use. I would love to see this added upstream and qemu support, as it would make my usecase of running 4 vms for different things much more elegant. at least I think this is what is being referenced in the article. could be mistaken, but regardless here is a writeup on it.
                If you’re just looking for a plug-and-play virtio_wl demo you cantry out right now, you might want to skip to the Demosection.

Comment

3D hardware acceleration in Virtual Machines without PCIe passthrough as in VMware but even a lot better, supporting latest DirectX versions.

This would make possible to run video games and professional software at near nativeperformance without requiring the exclusive usage of a dGPU for it.

I don't care if it's done by Google engineers, Microsoft engineers or ancient aliens. I want it!
                  why not just use dxvk and relevant wine code to run your game without any vm?

Comment

So, in a way, this makes Steam more containerized and safe.
                    afair linux steam already can be run from container, why would you want to make it more containerized than containerized?
                    Also, would this make Steam GPU and its driver agnostic?
                    i think it's already gpu and its driver agnostic

Comment

Working...
                    X