Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 5.16 To Feature More Extensible VirtIO GPU Driver With "Context Types" Addition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timofonic
    replied
    Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

I have never used Chrome OS and I only spent 10 minutes to read about it in relation to the pull request. Please correct me if I misunderstood you.
    • Why would someone build DirectX into a device driver?
    • Why would Chrome OS engineers want to support DirectX (or even D3D) on CrosVM?
    • How would you use DirectX if Linux had virtio support for it?
      • You can't run PE binaries. If you are planning to use Windows or ReactOS then you will need to write virtio drivers for that.
    3D hardware acceleration in Virtual Machines without PCIe passthrough as in VMware but even a lot better, supporting latest DirectX versions.

This would make possible to run video games and professional software at near nativeperformance without requiring the exclusive usage of a dGPU for it.

I don't care if it's done by Google engineers, Microsoft engineers or ancient aliens. I want it!
    Last edited by timofonic; 30 September 2021, 06:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jabberwocky
    replied
    Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    Please use DXVK and relevant Wine code for DirectX.

Please...
    I have never used Chrome OS and I only spent 10 minutes to read about it in relation to the pull request. Please correct me if I misunderstood you.
    • Why would someone build DirectX into a device driver?
    • Why would Chrome OS engineers want to support DirectX (or even D3D) on CrosVM?
    • How would you use DirectX if Linux had virtio support for it?
      • You can't run PE binaries. If you are planning to use Windows or ReactOS then you will need to write virtio drivers for that.

Leave a comment:

• timofonic
    replied
    Please use DXVK and relevant Wine code for DirectX.

Please...

Leave a comment:

• Linux 5.16 To Feature More Extensible VirtIO GPU Driver With "Context Types" Addition

Phoronix: Linux 5.16 To Feature More Extensible VirtIO GPU Driver With "Context Types" Addition

Google's work on the VirtIO DRM kernel driver around the notion of "context types" and being able to initialize different types of contexts is set to be merged for Linux 5.16 in opening up more use-cases for this driver that is an important part of the open-source virtualization graphics stack for graphics...

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...-5.16-Ctx-Type
Working...
X