Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Server 21.1 RC1 Released With VRR Support For Modesetting Driver, Other Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Server 21.1 RC1 Released With VRR Support For Modesetting Driver, Other Features

Phoronix: X.Org Server 21.1 RC1 Released With VRR Support For Modesetting Driver, Other Features

More than three years after X.Org Server 1.20 was released, it's set to finally be succeeded soon by X.Org Server 21.1 under its new versioning scheme. Out today is the X.org Server 21.1 release candidate...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks Povilas Kanapickas!

Comment

As a user who prefers Wayland, it's good to see X.Org Server having a new release update that brings new features after being in "maintenance mode" since the 1.20 release in 2018. It's just too important for the ecosystem — and any efforts to keep a free software thriving is not bad, right?

Comment

Afaik xorg has support for monitor color profiles, while wayland does not. Gnome Shell crash restarts the shell on Xorg, but takes down the whole Wayland session. Obs studio does not enable wayland support when run on Gnome, by default. Many video conference software don't properly support screen share on Wayland. I couldn't even find a xrandr clone that works on all Wayland desktops. Disman fails on Gnome.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
          Afaik xorg has support for monitor color profiles, while wayland does not. Gnome Shell crash restarts the shell on Xorg, but takes down the whole Wayland session. Obs studio does not enable wayland support when run on Gnome, by default. Many video conference software don't properly support screen share on Wayland. I couldn't even find a xrandr clone that works on all Wayland desktops. Disman fails on Gnome.
          It's not that color profiles "don't work" on wayland, it's that the wayland devs explicitly refuse to support it. Likewise for randr. Two of the reasons why wayland still isn't ready for the real world and never will be, even if the bugs you mention get fixed.

sigh...

Comment

Long live X !

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

It's not that color profiles "don't work" on wayland, it's that the wayland devs explicitly refuse to support it. Likewise for randr. Two of the reasons why wayland still isn't ready for the real world and never will be, even if the bugs you mention get fixed.

sigh...
              What is the actual use case for randr? And then I mean on a high level, not "I have some very special setup where I run an xrandr script that triggers based on some criteria and that modifies the output to my displays in some custom way". What use case does it solve and how is the equivalent handled in Windows and MacOs?

Comment

Its just a standard interface for managing how monitors are composed. Scripting it is entirely optional.

Comment

Yippie. An official Xorg release - coming soon to a PC near you.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

sigh...
                    Not sure about color profiles... since gnome does load them for displays with Wayland. But randr is pretty much present since all the same configuration options are available for wl_output. I'm not sure HOW exactly that queried and enumerated, but that should be possible.

Comment

Working...
                    X