xf86-input-libinput 1.2 Brings Touchpad Gestures, High Resolution Scrolling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xf86-input-libinput 1.2 Brings Touchpad Gestures, High Resolution Scrolling

Phoronix: xf86-input-libinput 1.2 Brings Touchpad Gestures, High Resolution Scrolling

For those continuing to make use of the X.Org Server, xf86-input-libinput 1.2 is now available for integrating the latest functionality of libinput input handling library...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally! Now UI toolkit/application support time... (hopefully both GTK and Qt support it well)

Comment

Apparently this high res scrolling requires some high resolution wheel, too. My mouse seems to be rather low end Logitech G500. I can basically feel every step when turning the wheel. According to xev the wheel produces button press events for buttons 4 and 5. Each step seems to scroll the windows at least 100 px.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        Finally! Now UI toolkit/application support time... (hopefully both GTK and Qt support it well)
        No need. XInput2 already had this support and used it, only libinput and the libinput driver sucked. The toolkits should already work as soon as you update the driver (at least Qt has had this support for 8 years now).

Comment

Great!

I was searching to see if there's a solution for smooth scrolling with touchpads on libinput, and found this article, and could hardly believe my eyes that it was posted today, the sheer coincidence of it... That I would happen to look for that today of all days, and today is the day we're finally getting it.

Maybe we can also have more reliable palm detection support while at it?

I mean come on, why is this not an option we can turn on and off? Why is it buried somewhere deep within libinput's code where no end-user can touch it? In it's current state it's just something that automatically works for some touchpads and automatically doesn't for others, there's no in-between, there's no tuning it, there's no setting for it, and that kinda sucks.
          Last edited by rabcor; 20 September 2021, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
            Apparently this high res scrolling requires some high resolution wheel, too. My mouse seems to be rather low end Logitech G500. I can basically feel every step when turning the wheel. According to xev the wheel produces button press events for buttons 4 and 5. Each step seems to scroll the windows at least 100 px.
            It's probably meant to be used with something like the G-whatever I have in storage where the middle button is below/behind the wheel and pressing on the wheel toggles a purely mechanical mechanism akin to a clicky pen which disengages the detents and allows the wheel to spin freely.

Comment

This whole high resolution scrolling got me looking at the touchpad of my Thinkpad T430, from 2012. They way it scrolls right now is VERY smooth. I can make things rolling by the pixel if I try. On the other hand, the touchpad of a Acer Aspire One 722 (from 2012 too) I have here jump lines by the dozen. No wonder why Thinkpads are so popular among Linux developers.

Comment

Buuuuuuuuuuuut..... Xorg is dead !!!

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                  This whole high resolution scrolling got me looking at the touchpad of my Thinkpad T430, from 2012. They way it scrolls right now is VERY smooth. I can make things rolling by the pixel if I try. On the other hand, the touchpad of a Acer Aspire One 722 (from 2012 too) I have here jump lines by the dozen. No wonder why Thinkpads are so popular among Linux developers.
                  Check which X11 drivers they use. If they had to use libinput they were lowres, but if they could use the symantic or another direct hw driver they were hires.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbie424242 View Post
                    Buuuuuuuuuuuut..... Xorg is dead !!!
                    No need to exaggerate like that.
                    Xorg is not dead.
                    It's just slowly dying.

Comment

Working...
                    X