Linux 5.16 To Add Quirk For The Steam Deck, Other DRM-Misc-Next Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.16 To Add Quirk For The Steam Deck, Other DRM-Misc-Next Changes

Phoronix: Linux 5.16 To Add Quirk For The Steam Deck, Other DRM-Misc-Next Changes

With the Linux 5.15 merge window out of the way, the first drm-misc-next pull request has been sent in to DRM-Next for staging until the Linux 5.16 merge window opens up about two months from now...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    The new Steam Deck quirk is adding a panel orientation quirk for it being a 800x1200 panel.
    Wait, seriously? The Steam Deck's display is rotated even though it is a console you hold in landscape? Why?

Comment

Maybe it's a screen designed for tablets where portrait orientation is the default one?

Comment

Yes, other devices of the same type also use displays designed for phones-tablets. So the default orientation is portrait. I am not surprised it is the case here also. Good to see it's in the kernel already.

Comment

These days most manufacturers of palmtop/handheld landscape orientation devices have to deal with this issue. The vast majority of the screens under 12 inches (edit: especially those ten inches or less) that are manufactured are portrait orientation by default, especially if they have a decent resolution.
          Last edited by CFWhitman; 16 September 2021, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
            Typo:

Wait, seriously? The Steam Deck's display is rotated even though it is a console you hold in landscape? Why?
            I have the OneXPlayer handheld and it's the same way, I have to put the orientation to rightside up to get it to display correctly, I'm pretty sure the Aya Neo is the same as well.

Comment

Working...
            X