Reverse Engineering, Open-Source Driver Writing Continues For Apple's M1 GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by iskra32 View Post
    My point is that in 2021 the primary thing limiting Nouveau is Nvidia deliberately stonewalling the project rather than just investing zero effort in FOSS like most companies
    For a project as prominent as the Linux kernel, for a vendor to deny documentation is certainly a case of 'deliberately stonewalling'. Even more so with Linux being the dominant OS in the ARM ecosystem. This isn't a case of Apple being too busy to bother, or some such. This is Apple saying 'F U Linux'. I guess I can't really blame them, since the devices with M1 chip are all consumer/client devices, which is Apple's bread and butter, so they likely view Linux as a threat in this context.

Honestly, Apple is as bad as Microsoft in this regard. They consume and use plenty of FOSS, but they contribute nothing back to the FOSS community, unless it's specifically to help people develop for OSX. Here's their contributions - nothing of significance except tools to bring people into the Apple ecosystem.
    Last edited by torsionbar28; 15 September 2021, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
      Maybe one day there will be a actual apple hardware competitor thay people flock to when they want the build quality of apple but ability to run Linux on it
      If by "build quality" you mean "SoC quality".

Comment

Personally that's not for me never owned apple stuff but it seems to make a lot of people happy

Comment

Remember that the reason that Nouveau sucks as bad as it does today isn't just because Nvidia provides no documentation, they actively and deliberately stonewall the project by packaging and licensing their firmware blobs in a way where Nouveau will never be able to do 3D rendering, video decoding, and power management without Nvidia's blessing for particular models and generations. While from what i've heard this kind of insurmountable problem hasn't been run into on the Apple reverse engineering effort yet.
          Is Nouveau better than Nvidia for the old GPUs which are not firmware restricted? Is that the case, do they have vulkan support?

I have a 10 year old laptop with 750M, maybe I should give it a spin and find out

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
            It will end up like nouveau at best, but I'm not worried because I feel lucky enough to know what to buy and what to avoid.

Anyway kudos for the work, it will be very useful in the future.
            As pointed out by another user, you have no idea what you're regurgitating. It won't end up the same as long as the reclocking isn't hardware locked. Which would pretty blow low, especially for Apple.

Comment

Originally posted by cytomax55 View Post
              Personally that's not for me never owned apple stuff but it seems to make a lot of people happy
              I have not spent a dime on Apple-stuff in 20 years, but in a few years, Apple will send these M1-machines into EOL - and then it might get interesting to pick one up 2nd hand for a few bucks - and then one needs a decent OS running on it...

Comment

Even though you're not paying Apple directly for the product by buying second hand Apple products and creating a second-hand market that adds value to the Apple product and people are willing to pay more knowing they can offload it later for a decent price....
                I just feel you're still supporting the Apple company even though you're buying a second hand instead of a company that supports Linux but I do understand that the hardware is not the same so whatever to teach their own

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
                  It will end up like nouveau at best, but I'm not worried because I feel lucky enough to know what to buy and what to avoid.
                  It will be even worse.

Comment

Originally posted by abott View Post
                    As pointed out by another user, you have no idea what you're regurgitating.
                    ​​​​​​​More like he is spot on.

Originally posted by abott View Post
                    Which would pretty blow low, especially for Apple.
                    Not really. There is no expectation of the hardware working outside of macOS. If NVidia can do it Apple surely could too.

Comment

Obviously yes, but thats not my point. My point is that in 2021 the primary thing limiting Nouveau is Nvidia deliberately stonewalling the project rather than just investing zero effort in FOSS like most companies, which puts Nvidia a league above Broadcom, Mali, Vivante and from what we know Apple in terms of being scum. It also means that the AGX driver has the chance to suck less than nouveau.
                      Even if NVIDIA wasn't stonewalling the project without documentation the driver will never be that good and feature complete. No the AGX driver will never suck less than Nouveau. The situation with Apple is even worse.

Comment

Working...
                      X