Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Server Adds "AsyncFlipSecondaries" To Deal With Crappy Multi-Monitor Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayland is still not ready if you need to type Japanese or use any other IM (it's working but too buggy and new extensions are still in the design phase)
    Also, the Vilhelm game is very slow under XWayland.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

No, if you take that for serious you're either an idiot or the commenter is a killer, none of which applies to the subject of Linux graphics devs.
      I wouldn't be so sure. Hans Reiser (the creator of reiserfs) murdered his wife.

Comment

I see some references in the diffs to variable refresh rate. Does this mean this will allow VRR to work in multi-monitor setups under Xorg? Specifically, will this work with AMD's Freesync in multi-monitor situations?

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
          On Wayland you can have multiple screens at different refresh rates
          Not on clone mode.

Comment

I didn't know this bug, I've 2 differents screen with 2 differents resolution (2560x1440 & 1920x1080) but with same refresh rate (165Hz). I was lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by treba View Post
              On Wayland you can have multiple screens at different refresh rates, each of them having fullscreen or non-fullscreen "unredirected"/direct scanout clients. Without tearing. In other words a no compromise situation. I think atm only Weston is already capable of doing such a extreme situation (especially the non-fullscreen direct scanout case, which requires overlay plane support via atomic KMS). But a typical situation like screen A 144Hz with a unredirected game + screen B 60Hz + screen C 60Hz works just fine without tearing on Gnome - and if I'm not mistaken on Sway and KDE as well.
              That's possible because unlike on X11 there's no "global" VSync on Wayland. Clients receive frame callbacks (or/and presentation times) for the screens they are visible on. Clients on different screens don't need to be in sync.
              Apparently X can also fail in other ways. I previously had a problem with Nouveau with two 59,95 and 60 Hz monitors. One of the screen was showing a bright flash every N frames when there was a missing non-fractional frame every 60 frames or so. A pal who claims he's more familiar with Linux said that I'm just idiot and can't configure my system like normal users. Linux simply cannot fail like that. Gotta love these experts.

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post

Not on clone mode.
                And assuming you are correct, is that a limitation of Wayland itself or just in a specific compositor like Mutter, Sway or Kwin?
                Do all of the above compositors have this problem you claim and can it then be derived to be a design problem in the Wayland protocol itself?

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post
                  And assuming you are correct, is that a limitation of Wayland itself or just in a specific compositor like Mutter, Sway or Kwin?
                  Do all of the above compositors have this problem you claim and can it then be derived to be a design problem in the Wayland protocol itself?
                  There's no reason why a Wayland compositor can't drive separate monitors at different refresh rates (without tearing), no matter if they show the same or different contents.

This change is a workaround for an architectural limitation of Xorg (single framebuffer which spans all outputs).

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post

There's no reason why a Wayland compositor can't drive separate monitors at different refresh rates (without tearing), no matter if they show the same or different contents.

This change is a workaround for an architectural limitation of Xorg (single framebuffer which spans all outputs).
                    Exactly, that's what I thought. So basically whitecat is talking nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                      I get your pessimism but strangers on the internet are the best people on Earth. One can only describe them as a mix of MLK, Einstein, Confucius and Aristotle.
                      Some say every reality can be expressed by the digits of pi. It's clear it can also be expressed with the names of bands.
                      You gave me a good laugh, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X