Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X.Org Server Adds "AsyncFlipSecondaries" To Deal With Crappy Multi-Monitor Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post
    Wayland fanboys: Noo! You can't add new features. Xorg is dead!
    Xorg: Ha-ha. Refresh rates go brrrr.
    It just so happens that the Wayland fanboys are also the only Xorg (and X11) devs left, and they are the ones who added those features.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

No, if you take that for serious you're either an idiot or the commenter is a killer, none of which applies to the subject of Linux graphics devs.
      Of course not seriously, but exaggeration of an actual oppositional feeling? Yeah.
      Besides, you are very uninformed if you think no person is crazy enough to make death threats about silly things. Really.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Of course not seriously, but exaggeration of an actual oppositional feeling? Yeah.
        Besides, you are very uninformed if you think no person is crazy enough to make death threats about silly things. Really.
        That would be reasonable if I was a contributor to the graphics stack or something, not an anonymous loser from the peanut gallery who just comments and doesn't actually do anything for the Linux graphics stack and thus has no voice in it.

Comment

Originally posted by geamandura View Post

Reading comprehension? It is written, but it is a description of the previous, SYNC behaviour that this ASYNC implementation was made to fix.
          Then please read. From the commit message:

It adds a new boolean option "AsyncFlipSecondaries" to the device section of xorg.conf. If this option is specified as true, then DRI3 pageflip behaviour changes as follows:
          The downside is potential tearing artifacts on all outputs apart from the one of the "reference crtc".
          Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
          [LIST=1]
          On Wayland you can have multiple screens at different refresh rates, each of them having fullscreen or non-fullscreen "unredirected"/direct scanout clients. Without tearing. In other words a no compromise situation. I think atm only Weston is already capable of doing such a extreme situation (especially the non-fullscreen direct scanout case, which requires overlay plane support via atomic KMS). But a typical situation like screen A 144Hz with a unredirected game + screen B 60Hz + screen C 60Hz works just fine without tearing on Gnome - and if I'm not mistaken on Sway and KDE as well.
          That's possible because unlike on X11 there's no "global" VSync on Wayland. Clients receive frame callbacks (or/and presentation times) for the screens they are visible on. Clients on different screens don't need to be in sync.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
            [LIST=1][*]It's talking about when you have an unredirected fullscreen window on one monitor. (i.e. under X11, the "bypass compositor" feature that lets a game get OpenGL/Vulkan direct-to-monitor for performance) That's a common "you only got this now?" thing for X11 to say to Wayland.
            Yea, but that would only be a burn if X11 weren't older than I and nearly three times older than Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
              How did I fail? Most articles that discuss X end up into an X vs. Wayland discussion.
              Shit. Sorry. I know I responded to you before but it looks like I was attributing some of Avem's past posts to you in my head. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

That would be reasonable if I was a contributor to the graphics stack or something, not an anonymous loser from the peanut gallery who just comments and doesn't actually do anything for the Linux graphics stack and thus has no voice in it.
                That's where the misunderstanding comes from. You are talking about reasonable, I am talking about crazy people on the internet. Anonymous losers do make death threats, and also do them to anonymous losers as well as to people of actual relevance. Of course, if we assume you are reasonable, it is obviously a joke. But it's something you should not assume of strangers on the internet.

Comment

That's where the misunderstanding comes from. You are talking about reasonable, I am talking about crazy people on the internet. Anonymous losers do make death threats, and also do them to anonymous losers as well as to people of actual relevance. Of course, if we assume you are reasonable, it is obviously a joke. But it's something you should not assume of strangers on the internet.
                  I get your pessimism but strangers on the internet are the best people on Earth. One can only describe them as a mix of MLK, Einstein, Confucius and Aristotle.

Comment

Knowing the kind of character you can meet online, I'd say Poe's Law is at play. Next time use a tag.
                    Instead of further crippling our ability to understand simple sentences and comprehend subtle undertones, we should teach the illiterate people how to read. So stop moaning about your limited capabilities and try to be better next time.

Comment

Will that allow us to run GSYNC on a multimonitor setup when a program runs on fullscreen on one of the supports monitor?
                      Because it sounds like it will. That would be fantastic because I found about this limitation yesterday xD

Comment

Working...
                      X