Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org DMX Dropped After More Than A Decade Of Crashes

Phoronix: X.Org DMX Dropped After More Than A Decade Of Crashes

The X.Org Distributed Multihead X (DMX) DDX driver has been dropped from the X.Org Server source tree due to its rather broken state for more than one decade...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This is the first time I've seen the changes for an MR that was multiple pages let alone ten!!

Comment

Oh well, it was kind of crippled even when it worked. Adding and removing screens dynamically is impossible with OpenGL acceleration enabled and this has never been addressed in all the years DMX existed. Something like intel-virtual-output would make more sense with modern X and it doesn't have that kind of limitation.

Comment

Good with code removal so there can be a smaller code base which is easier to maintain and have less bugs and security vulnerabilities. 👍

Maybe more stuff can be removed, so that it can only have the stuff that's strictly necessary for XWayland.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          Maybe more stuff can be removed, so that it can only have the stuff that's strictly necessary for XWayland.
          That's a bit odd. XWayland only exists because there are useful things in X11 that Wayland lacks. If you remove all that, why even bother having XWayland?

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

That's a bit odd. XWayland only exists because there are useful things in X11 that Wayland lack
            Such as?
            I would say Xwayland mainly exists as a temporary compatibility solution for applications that has yet been ported to Wayland, mainly proprietary applications using toolkits that is still tied to X. Or what specific features of X applications are you thinking of? The ability for any X application to read the contents and input of any other X application? Perhaps you were thinking of xeyes? I'm afraid it does not work under Xwayland.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

That's a bit odd. XWayland only exists because there are useful things in X11 that Wayland lacks. If you remove all that, why even bother having XWayland?
              No, XWayland exists only for backwards compatibility with applications that do not support Wayland.
              So I only care about X and XWayland in order to use legacy applications and games, I am not particularly interested in any specific features of X11.

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post

Such as?
                I would say Xwayland mainly exists as a temporary compatibility solution for applications that has yet been ported to Wayland, mainly proprietary applications using toolkits that is still tied to X. Or what specific features of X applications are you thinking of? The ability for any X application to read the contents and input of any other X application? Perhaps you were thinking of xeyes? I'm afraid it does not work under Xwayland.
                I agree, but I don't think it's temporary. Think about applications, both free and proprietary, that have been long abandoned and won't ever get ported.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

I agree, but I don't think it's temporary. Think about applications, both free and proprietary, that have been long abandoned and won't ever get ported.
                  Yes, you are correct. I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by tomas View Post

Yes, you are correct. I agree.
                    Xwayland will be available for a long time. However, it will eventually become optional and just a dependency for such packages that most users won't need.

Comment

Working...
                    X