X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like X Is Not Gon' Give It To Ya

Comment

Originally posted by guildem View Post
      And if we want to be really accurate, there's today : Xorg for X11, and WlRoots/Mutter/Kwin(/Mir ?) for Wayland. Weston is only a reference implementation of Wayland, and all the other implementations of X11 and Wayland aren't used a lot today.
      We have at least two more X11 implementations
      XWayland has been taken out from Xorg and has been adopted by Gnome. In short: you can install Gnome and run X11 apps without Xorg.
      XQuartz is still relevant on Mac, although apps using it are looking quite out of place on a Mac DE by now.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
        Because it is ambiguous. Wayland is a protocol, like X11. Xorg is an implementation of X11 protocol's server side, for all its problems it is single most used implementation on Linux, and *BSDs. It works. There is no single Wayland protocol implementation, even more each implementation do it in its own way.
        There are many X11 implementations: Xorg, Xquartz, Xwayland.
        Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu are already on Wayland by default. Hence a lot (majority?) of new desktop Linux installations use Wayland - and likely will never even really notice.

I'm hearing a lot about Wayland compositors but I do not get why compositor have to be bundled with WM and cannot be separate service, why it need to handle input and clipboard instead of dedicated services and so on.
        Because it is not - libraries (wlroots) are available for those that don't want to do the heavy lifting and implement the wayland protocol.

Ok, I'm not tied to desktop UI app development so I might be wrong on some points.
        Sometimes, asking questions helps.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
          XWayland has been taken out from Xorg
          I always thought it was just a special build inside X.org. TIL.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

I always thought it was just a special build inside X.org. TIL.
            I guess it depends on how you look at it. It used to be part of Xorg.
            However, It is released independently now by the Xorg community.
            The Xorg community releases more than Xorg, including Wayland and Weston..
            To me, this means Xwayland is an independent entity now.
            Also, Xorg may not get Xwayland work "backported" and may not even be released in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by mppix View Post
              The Xorg community releases more than Xorg, including Wayland and Weston..
              Yes, but I meant not the community but the code base. Note I'm not saying you were wrong. The "TIL" may sound sarcastic in retrospect, but I meant it seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
                What a self entitled little sh1t. Considering your deep concern what have you contributed to help mitigate the issue? If there had been a great ground swell, I am sure it would have been looked at. Obviously that didn't happen and nobody even seemed to have noticed so why should any one put any effort into it?
                Well, thank you! You are sure it would have been looked at? That is just your wishful thinking, son. Software gets abandoned each day despite millions of users using it! But go ahead and call me a self-entitled little shit. *lol* I do not think you know what it means to be a self-entitled little shit or you would have recognised it within yourself already.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                  Well, thank you! You are sure it would have been looked at? That is just your wishful thinking, son. Software gets abandoned each day despite millions of users using it! But go ahead and call me a self-entitled little shit. *lol* I do not think you know what it means to be a self-entitled little shit or you would have recognised it within yourself already.
                  Worst case, you can fork it, so I smell excuses here. You're entitled because you expect someone else to put work _for you_ that _you wouldn't put yourself_. It's not your time nor your money to decide how it's used, it's just that simple.
                  Plus, what we _know_, if you look at the mailing list of the mentioned fix, is that _it was_ looked at, there was feedback, there was an acknowledgement from the author who said he'd address such feedback and then never wrote a new version. Which again, he's perfectly entitled to do, because it's _his_ time, and he has all the right to use however he deems best. Don't like it? Provide a patch yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
                    Plus, what we _know_, if you look at the mailing list of the mentioned fix, is that _it was_ looked at, there was feedback, there was an acknowledgement from the author who said he'd address such feedback and then never wrote a new version. Which again, he's perfectly entitled to do, because it's _his_ time, and he has all the right to use however he deems best. Don't like it? Provide a patch yourself.
                    No. I do not expect others to put in work for me. The work has already been done in form of the mentioned patch. You did read the article, yes? There is no entitlement involed in leaving the system as it is and fixing it. The entitlement is to assume one could just abandon it. I suggest you abandon your involvement in the project - abandon yourself. Take yourself out of the project when the only way you can continue working on it is by removing it. So right back at you when your suggestion is to fork it. So can those who want to abandon it. Go write your own software and abandon your own code.
                    Last edited by sdack; 08 September 2021, 01:02 PM.

Comment

No. I do not expect others to put in work for me.
                      Are you sure? The following seems to indicate otherwise...

There is no entitlement involed in leaving the system as it is and fixing it.
                      The work has already been done in form of the mentioned patch.
                      And it was incomplete and never finished. You did read the mailing list, did you?

The entitlement is to assume one could just abandon it.
                      The entitlement is to assume one should keep the burden of maintaining it. Or accept half done patches that you would need to maintain afterwards.

I suggest you abandon your involvement in the project - abandon yourself. Take yourself out of the project when the only way you can continue working on it is by removing it. So right back at you when your suggestion is to fork it. So can those who want to abandon it. Go write your own software and abandon your own code.
                      Except the ones dropping it are the ones maintaining the project. Whether they fork or you do, it's you who would be maintaining the broken code
                      Besides, if you'd rather use the old broken version, the code is version controlled. Suit yourself.

Go write your own software and abandon your own code.
                      I did many times, but thanks for the suggestion!

Comment

Working...
                      X