X.Org Looks To Drop DMX After Being Rather Broken For ~14 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
    Your opinion seems quite entitled and from a little bubble, considering you think that's a minority. Quite often external screens will differ from laptops' ones, and that setup is not uncommon in my experience (as in, everyone I worked with does that).
    I didn't even think of that in my responses because I don't have a laptop but you're right. That's super common. I have a friend who doesn't consider herself super tech savvy but works off her laptop and has a secondary monitor she hooks up to it.

I said it's common, not that it's the majority. I don't think the majority of people use dual monitors at all, the practice itself is quite niche. Now, of the ones that do, it seems to be common enough for people to take it as a reason to use Wayland :shrug:
    The difference between your bubble and mine is that you say one is a minority. I'm not saying either is.
    Bravo and thank you :-) I always felt like responses like dpeterc's feel really classist and elitist so I got heated. Most people's setups aren't what they'd ideally like to have for every situation. That can be because of space or money restrictions, hardware availability, or whatever so if software can help those people make their setup a little closer to idea then I think that's great. When people argue against that, it's frustrating.

Comment

I said it's common, not that it's the majority. I don't think the majority of people use dual monitors at all, the practice itself is quite niche. Now, of the ones that do, it seems to be common enough for people to take it as a reason to use Wayland :shrug:
      The difference between your bubble and mine is that you say one is a minority. I'm not saying either is.
      I pretty sure a lot of workstation users work with dual displays. Hell, my own small company's office have most workplaces with dual displays - not laptops, same size and same resolution displays. That is somewhat around 40 workstations. At first were there some push back from employees, but now no one want to work with single display.

Comment

Exactly. So far that API as you can see is currently a little too small for the task. Once it matures however, it could be a good option.

As it stands it looks like it will be a lower level design, similar to libXCB.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

I pretty sure a lot of workstation users work with dual displays. Hell, my own small company's office have most workplaces with dual displays - not laptops, same size and same resolution displays. That is somewhat around 40 workstations. At first were there some push back from employees, but now no one want to work with single display.
          I agree. But when I say I think it's a minority (I admit I said it in absolute, which I don't have numbers to back up, so my bad) I meant of the whole, not just workstation users.

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          Exactly. So far that API as you can see is currently a little too small for the task. Once it matures however, it could be a good option.
          Yeah, I imagined it probably was not really production ready (not in quality terms, but like you said, in terms of scope), but I think it's more general and "official".

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
          As it stands it looks like it will be a lower level design, similar to libXCB.
          Yes, and I personally think it's the way to go. It's a bit pointless to aim for no frame skip and then let the de facto standard client library be synchronous.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
            Not fixing a bug, leaving users for a decade with broken software, then use the broken state as an argument for saying nobody would actively use it, because nobody can actively use it, is demented bull shit by a bunch of people who embrace decay over reason.
            True, but it's still got a hell of a long way to go to catch up to the champions of that philosophy, GNOME and Firefox.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

That's just dumb. Among multi-monitor setups, having mixed sizes and mixed DPI setups are very common because their secondary monitors is usually them continuing to use their old monitor. This is the first time I've had monitors of the same size and I've never really had two of the same resolution

Again, that's really fucking dumb. How is anybody bothering you by having more than one monitor with different sizes? Do you think DPI scaling should only be for tablets or some shit? Do you think that it's uncommon for people to use their TVs as another monitor or a tablet?

I literally just said that my monitor setup does feel like they're the same resolution because of Wayland's DPI scaling. The color isn't identical but it's close enough after calibration that it's not distracting because I often have different things on each monitor.

In my case I have a high resolution one for gaming and interfaces and a lower resolution but more color accurate monitor for color grading. I was actually thinking of getting a 1440p gaming monitor so that they match but then I was finding better prices for UHD monitors with the size and feature set I wanted. On top of that, I have a 4K camera and wanted something that would allow me to watch stuff from it at native resolution. Then I realized that UHD is exactly 50% more resolution along both axes so I decided that I would go with one of them and just use DPI scaling. It's not like everybody buys their monitors at the same time.

And? I guarantee you that it's something that most people with multi-monitor setups with some kind of asymmetry would want. My same setup in Windows(which obviously most people with multi-monitor setups are use) had every window snapping between both resolutions (and momentarily being either really big or really small) and the mouse speed would be consistent between both monitors but their would still be 720 pixels at the shared edge of the UHD monitor where it prevented me from dragging stuff over to my main monitor.

Under X11, it worked better than Windows in some ways but in the areas that it failed, it failed far worse and made it unusable. Doing the same thing under Wayland feels nearly perfect to me and it's the best experience I've had with my setup.

It looks fine. Having some weird gate-keepy, "fuck you" attitude toward people that would like the setups they can afford to work as seamlessly as possible just because you wouldn't choose that setup is, again, really dumb.

And again, in my case, I saved money going with a higher resolution screen because that's a thing that happens over time. Their always a particular screen size and resolution combination that winds up being the most cost-effective at a particular time.

I'll never understand people like you who act that way about people's setups. I also have an Nvidia card that I started using before I switched to Linux. It's not the greatest experience. There are applications that show up as transparent windows to me, but that's my fault right? Fuck me. Nvidia shouldn't even release a GBM driver because I should have to suffer the consequence until I go buy better hardware.
              I am supposedly having the "fuck you attitude" but you are starting your replies with "that's really fucking dumb".
              I really can't have a meaningful discussion at this level. Bye.

Comment

Originally posted by dpeterc View Post
                I am supposedly having the "fuck you attitude" but you are starting your replies with "that's really fucking dumb".
                I really can't have a meaningful discussion at this level. Bye.
                Yes, obviously lol That was my response to your post where you expressed said attitude. If you didn't want me to say that then don't say dumb things. If you didn't want a mean response then don't write posts saying that people with setups like mine should "should suffer the consequences without bothering others.". I don't apologize and don't feel guilty if I hurt your feelings. In fact, I'm glad I did.

What I find funny is that I said your take was classist, someone else said you came off entitled, and you responded by doubling down, and refusing to acknowledge the criticism by turning your nose up at me for the language I used lol
                Last edited by Myownfriend; 05 September 2021, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                  But if its own maintainers and people intimate with the code don't want to do it, how would an entry-level person get in and even know where to start? Asking seriously. There's no mechanism even in place it seems.
                  There's always the option to pay lots of money and let others do the work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post

There's always the option to pay lots of money and let others do the work for you.
                    Great point.

Comment

I thought xdmx didn't support OpenGL anyway. Or is that true of "Xinerama"?
                      I investigated using xdmx, but it's some thankless sysadmin task and didn't seem worth spending 5 hours to configure, seemed cool otherwise.
                      Maybe ppl were saying OpenGL doesn't work. Perhaps no one were using that xdmx OpenGL support?

You can easily use a linux desktop with no OpenGL whatsoever. It's quite typical in remote desktop, ssh -X and VMs too. You can do without if you do weird things (multi-monitor over multiple X servers is already semi-weird), unless you're that guy playing Quake 3 on 16 monitors.
                      Last edited by grok; 05 September 2021, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X