X.Org Looks To Drop DMX After Being Rather Broken For ~14 Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
    The entitlement is to assume one should keep the burden of maintaining it.
    A burden? *lol* When it is a burden for you then you are the wrong person for the job in the first place. Find a better job and stop being bad at the one you have.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
      A burden? *lol* When it is a burden for you then you are the wrong person for the job in the first place. Find a better job and stop being bad at the one you have.
      So why are you so unwilling to do it?

Comment

So why are you so unwilling to do it?
        Why am I unwilling to abandon it? Because it still has value, stupid.

Comment

Why am I unwilling to abandon it? Because it still has value, stupid.
          You are unwilling to do the work to maintain it. Glad to see you can read, now you can learn to read correctly
          In practice you already abandoned it by not providing proper patches.
          Last edited by sinepgib; 09 September 2021, 10:48 AM.

Comment

You are unwilling to do the work to maintain it. Glad to see you can read, now you can learn to read correctly
            In practice you already abandoned it by not providing proper patches.
            I was wondering what you were asking me, but I did not think you would come with a troll. So the question was, why am I not maintaining it? Because a) others have already promised to do it, but as it turns out now do they suck, and b) do I already have a job that I love.

Comment

I was wondering what you were asking me, but I did not think you would come with a troll.
              So, after you called me stupid and said maintaining code is not a burden, I'm the troll. Roger.
              I don't know if you're a programmer, but if you are, you know every line of code means more work to keep the system working.
              And since the post you quoted it didn't have any mentions, neither in my comment not in the one it quotes, about abandoning anything, I think it's fair to say you didn't interpret it correctly.

So the question was, why am I not maintaining it? Because a) others have already promised to do it, but as it turns out now do they suck, and
              They didn't promise to maintain each and every feature. AFAICT, they actually didn't promise anything.[/QUOTE]

They worked on something, and they are free to cease to work on that, and they are free to drop the parts they don't want to maintain if nobody else is doing it.
              Going back to "it still has value", the question is for who. Nobody seemed to complain, at least that actually uses the feature, and it's been broken for a decade.
              Volunteers apparently don't want to work on it, and people paying for development apparently don't see enough value to keep it building after changes to other parts, testing it (testing is a requirement, you know?), or any other part of the work.

Lastly, let's say they do abandon their roles, both the maintainers and whoever proposed the patch that didn't follow through (because he didn't address actual issues, fixing bugs with broken code is not really fixing it, and should not be merged), you still need someone to put the work.

b) do I already have a job that I love.
              I'm glad you do, seriously.
              Now, you do answer to your boss, instead of doing whatever you think is best only, right?
              Should I, as a third party that doesn't pay you nor help you do your work, have a say on how you do your work? Wouldn't you think I'm a bit self-entitled if I do that? Because that's exactly what's happening here.
              Do you volunteer extra time? Should I expect you to? Because that's pretty much my point, someone either volunteers or pays someone to maintain something.
              They get to say if they want to keep doing that. Not me, not you.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
                The systemd of display servers.
                in the world of grownups that's a compliment

Comment

Working...
                X