X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ehansin
    replied
    Originally posted by perpetually high View Post

Hilarious. This is the discussion I subscribe for. I swear - I've gone back and forth on this same topic for a long time. You guys actually helped solidify a stance on it for me.

"If it's a quote, I'll do it like this."

But it's something like "this".

I think those two examples are how I'm going to handle this forsaken quotation situation moving forward.
    Yeah, I have struggled as well, maybe even over thought about it all. But I am with you on the same page as you put forward above.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Originally posted by ehansin View Post

I have often struggled with these "rules". See what I just did there?? Well, in the original case here putting the period within the quotes makes it look like it is part of the key name, which of course it is not. I tend to do what makes the most sense within the bigger context. In regards to my first sentence here, neither looks great, but since I had only a single word in quotes, I left period outside of them. Oh well
    Hilarious. This is the discussion I subscribe for. I swear - I've gone back and forth on this same topic for a long time. You guys actually helped solidify a stance on it for me.

"If it's a quote, I'll do it like this."

But it's something like "this".

I think those two examples are how I'm going to handle this forsaken quotation situation moving forward.

Leave a comment:

• ehansin
    replied
    Agree with both of you. Won't make that suggestion again as it doesn't even add anything and is subjective depending on how and where you learned English. Cheers. chocolate billyswong
    I have often struggled with these "rules". See what I just did there?? Well, in the original case here putting the period within the quotes makes it look like it is part of the key name, which of course it is not. I tend to do what makes the most sense within the bigger context. In regards to my first sentence here, neither looks great, but since I had only a single word in quotes, I left period outside of them. Oh well

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by chocolate View Post
    A very annoying thing only native English speakers expect. Breaks all sorts of consistency. Sorry for the OT -- not even interested in going forward with this discussion, will unsubscribe from the thread. Cheers.
    I suspect any native English speaker who learned to program (and thus learned to think in nested lexical scopes) at a young enough age will agree with you. I know I do.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Agree with both of you. Won't make that suggestion again as it doesn't even add anything and is subjective depending on how and where you learned English. Cheers. chocolate billyswong

Leave a comment:

• billyswong
    replied
    Very minor, but period goes inside the end quote when concluding a sentence. "CONFIG_FB."
    I am not native English speaker. I agree with chocolate that this grammar rule should have been dropped when the quote is not itself a sentence. Since punctuation rules do not affect how one speaks a language and this particular rule does not help in reading comprehension, nowadays I write the fullstop / comma outside the right quotation mark proactively (as long as the writing is not for English language test / examination 😉 )

Leave a comment:

• chocolate
    replied
    Very minor, but period goes inside the end quote when concluding a sentence. "CONFIG_FB."
    A very annoying thing only native English speakers expect. Breaks all sorts of consistency. Sorry for the OT -- not even interested in going forward with this discussion, will unsubscribe from the thread. Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• perpetually high
    replied
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Red Hat Patch Proposal To Split FBDEV Core Support

For nearly the past decade there has been calls for deprecating the Liux kernel's frame-buffer "FBDEV" device code though the code remains within the kernel. While these days most display drivers are DRM-based even in the embedded world, a lot of FBDEV code still ends up in kernel builds even when just wanting to use DRM's FBDEV emulation layer. But a patch proposal out of Red Hat would further split-up the FBDEV core support to allow less of it to be built...

[URL]For nearly the past decade there has been calls for deprecating the Liux kernel's frame-buffer "FBDEV"
    Typos: Liux, and should be have been calls.

making the DRM emulation layer depend just on that rather than the full "CONFIG_FB".

Leave a comment:

• phoronix
    started a topic Red Hat Patch Proposal To Split FBDEV Core Support

Red Hat Patch Proposal To Split FBDEV Core Support

Phoronix: Red Hat Patch Proposal To Split FBDEV Core Support

For nearly the past decade there has been calls for deprecating the Liux kernel's frame-buffer "FBDEV" device code though the code remains within the kernel. While these days most display drivers are DRM-based even in the embedded world, a lot of FBDEV code still ends up in kernel builds even when just wanting to use DRM's FBDEV emulation layer. But a patch proposal out of Red Hat would further split-up the FBDEV core support to allow less of it to be built...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
Working...
X