No announcement yet.

Red Hat Patch Proposal To Split FBDEV Core Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, useful and productive off-topic on phoronix. Wake me up!

Back to topic (almost), was anyone with:
    - Nvidia card
    - proprietary blob drivers
    - UEFI boot
    able to get any graphical framebuffer to work in Linux console? In such a way that it doesn't prevent Nvidia blob from being loaded.

Edit: it seems efifb - what menuconfig doesn't say, but Linux kernel documentation does - works ONLY in EFI stub mode.
    Last edited by reavertm; 27 August 2021, 08:17 PM.

Comment

You guys really, really, really overemphasize "staying on topic."

It's just the Phoronix forums guys, maybe consider getting a grip and stop worrying about trivial things.

There's gonna be another Phoronix thread just like it, don't worry.

edit: Already messed up my rule. You guys really, really, really overemphasize "staying on topic".

I'm so sorry for what I've done. Let this be a lesson to all of us.
      Last edited by perpetually high; 27 August 2021, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Probably an unpopular opinion, but maybe it's time KMSCON was resurrected so the whole kernel space vt emulation layer can be removed. There is working semi-maintained code on github, like here: https://github.com/AOSC-Dev/kmscon.git

I find the argument that it is redundant since a full windowing system can be used instead quite asinine. KMSCON (or equivalent) can be used in a initramfs or recovery image, without having to worry about having a full working stack. It is also substantially lighter if all you need is a tty command-line, has full i18n support, and gives back scrollback capability! There has been quite number of times I've really missed having scrollback on the linux console since it was dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          that is our goal," Javier noted
          Incorrectly quoted; the comma should be a period. That's an actual typo and should be fixed...not me trying to out NAZI the NAZIs.
          Okay, while we are staying on topic, in a direct speech quote the period is converted into a comma if the author's text goes after it. So it's actually correct as written, and your suggestion is definitely incorrect.

See example here:
          Originally posted by https://www.grammarly.com/blog/quotation-marks/
          “There was a storm last night,” Paul said.
          Also here:
          Originally posted by https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/quotes.asp
          Rule 3b. If the quotation comes before he said, she wrote, they reported, Dana insisted, or a similar attribution, end the quoted material with a comma, even if it is only one word.
          Examples:
          “I don't care,” he said.
          “Stop,” he said.
          Last edited by intelfx; 27 August 2021, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
            A very annoying thing only native English speakers expect. Breaks all sorts of consistency. Sorry for the OT -- not even interested in going forward with this discussion, will unsubscribe from the thread. Cheers.
            Sadly, I agree. I personally follow programming languages for grammar (the period after the quotes)...

Imagine if programming languages were like English:

Code:
            int main { ()
            printf("Hello, World!\n;)"
            return (0;)
            }

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Sadly, I agree. I personally follow programming languages for grammar (the period after the quotes)...

Imagine if programming languages were like English:

int main { ()
              printf("Hello, World!\n"
              return (0
              }
              Code blocks, my dude.

Comment

Code blocks, my dude.
                I fixed that by the time you told me.

Comment

Originally posted by intelfx View Post

Okay, while we are staying on topic, in a direct speech quote the period is converted into a comma if the author's text goes after it. So it's actually correct as written, and your suggestion is definitely incorrect.

See example here:

Also here:
                  While I don't disagree with that, I've always included punctuation as-is when quoting. As seen in this thread, other pragmatic people do the same.

Luckily English is a flexible language which means that anything is basically correct grammar so long as the other party understands....which is also the number one defense against people who are actually serious about this stuff.

Comment

While I don't disagree with that, I've always included punctuation as-is when quoting. As seen in this thread, other pragmatic people do the same.

Luckily English is a flexible language which means that anything is basically correct grammar so long as the other party understands....which is also the number one defense against people who are actually serious about this stuff.
                    Now that you mention it, I'm not sure I have a consistent approach to that "Use of commas vs. periods follows how you'd read it out loud, regardless of the presence or absence of quotation marks" quirk.

Comment

Originally posted by perpetually high View Post
                      Very minor, but period goes inside the end quote when concluding a sentence. "CONFIG_FB."
                      I'm in favor of saying "fuck it" when the rule makes no sense and doing what does. For example, keeping the punctuation of the quote inside of it and the punctuation of my text outside. No need to agree, and nobody asked, but I felt like suggesting it

Originally posted by s_j_newbury View Post
                      Probably an unpopular opinion, but maybe it's time KMSCON was resurrected so the whole kernel space vt emulation layer can be removed. There is working semi-maintained code on github, like here: https://github.com/AOSC-Dev/kmscon.git

I find the argument that it is redundant since a full windowing system can be used instead quite asinine. KMSCON (or equivalent) can be used in a initramfs or recovery image, without having to worry about having a full working stack. It is also substantially lighter if all you need is a tty command-line, has full i18n support, and gives back scrollback capability! There has been quite number of times I've really missed having scrollback on the linux console since it was dropped.
                      Same camp here. Not only because of initramfs and what not, but because that "fix" dictates quite a bit of policy that it has no authority over. I'd like to make a little dev laptop for myself that is console only, both because the computer I want to use is quite weak (1GB RAM, upgradeable to 2GB, and no, I don't want a newer one) and because I'm really easy to distract. A full windowing system would almost surely lead to Firefox, and Firefox to waste time browsing the web. w3m being nearly unusable for general browsing means I'll only use it to look for docs, if at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X