Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi Display Driver Patches Updated For 4K@60Hz Support

Phoronix: Raspberry Pi Display Driver Patches Updated For 4K@60Hz Support

Work continues on getting the Broadcom VC4 kernel Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) driver into shape for being able to support 4K display outputs at 60Hz...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wonderful!
    Too bad it's too late for 5.15

Comment

It's been barely 2 years since I bought an RPi 4 and I'm waiting to finally have Vulkan support and 4K @ 60Hz support...

Fortunately, the RPi Foundation does not sell houses, we would have the walls delivered as a kit and the water, heating and electricity can be functional 2 to 3 years after moving in ;-(

I'm looking forward to finally having a 100% usable RPi 4 !!

Do you know the status of Raspbian OS 11 / 64 bits (based on Debian 11 / 64 bits) release ? Will it be published soon ?

Comment

Originally posted by Phil995511 View Post
        It's been barely 2 years since I bought an RPi 4 and I'm waiting to finally have Vulkan support and 4K @ 60Hz support...
        True, but if you bought some Android phone (for 4 times the price) it would already be EOL in 2 years!

The fact that they are adding Vulkan support to your existing hardware rather than just make you purchase a RPi 5 kind of reminds me of the old days when hardware vendors weren't scum.
        Last edited by kpedersen; 20 August 2021, 08:34 AM.

Comment

It's been barely 2 years since I bought an RPi 4 and I'm waiting to finally have Vulkan support...
          I'm not terribly hip to the embedded world, but I gather the board designers are sorta stuck with limited choices for what GPUs they can use and how well they're supported. It looks like only AMD and Intel make GPUs that can do Vulkan 1.2 right out of the box.

I love my Raspberry Pis, but it is a drag that they're so 'weird' and so much effort needs to go into getting the software as functional as the hardware specs say they can be. Also that they need board-specific spins of Linux to boot. I'm hoping some future Raspberry Pi ships with a UEFI bootloader and a GPU that isn't some weird mystery black box.

My next set of SBC purchases are likely going to be based on whether I can boot generic Linux ISOs out of the box with UEFI and have vendor-supported open-source GPU drivers. If that means going back to x86_64, then that's what I guess I'll have to do. It would be nice if Intel licensed their discrete graphics tech as an embeddable IP block that had a PCIe connection, I'd love something like a Raspberry Pi that had a 16 or 32 EU Intel graphics core.

Comment

Odroid C4 has almost no cpu/vulnerabilities so I wish people would show cpu vendors there is a market for non vulnerabe CPUs instead of buying RPIs.

Comment

Fortunately, the RPi Foundation does not sell houses, we would have the walls delivered as a kit and the water, heating and electricity can be functional 2 to 3 years after moving in ;-(

I'm looking forward to finally having a 100% usable RPi 4 !!
              RPi is a marvel when you compare it to the state of Pine64 products.

I've liked my Odroid stuff, but I hate their cases. Honestly my ARM SBC explorations have been disappointing overall. Maybe I'm asking too much, but I've kind of gone back to x86.

Comment

Originally posted by b1twise View Post

RPi is a marvel when you compare it to the state of Pine64 products.

I've liked my Odroid stuff, but I hate their cases. Honestly my ARM SBC explorations have been disappointing overall. Maybe I'm asking too much, but I've kind of gone back to x86.
                I think like you ... RPI and other SBC ARMs fall far short of x86 performance. I bought this RPi 4 during containment for my daughter, but it doesn't have enough computing power, it's not pleasant to use ;-(

To my knowledge, Apple and Ampere Computing are the only ones to offer ARM systems with sufficient computing power.

Comment

It looks like only AMD and Intel make GPUs that can do Vulkan 1.2 right out of the box
                  Mali gpus from arm are also complaint with vulkan1.2 . Truth be told, most SBCs competing with pi4 have better graphical performance than pi4. At least they can play 1080p videos over youtube

Comment

Originally posted by leo_sk View Post
                    Mali gpus from arm are also complaint with vulkan1.2
                    Yes, but not open-source. PanVK still has a ways to go.

Comment

Working...
                    X