• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Phil995511

• Phil995511
    replied
    Originally posted by arQon View Post

Just to be somewhat pedantic: I find it very unlikely that your daughter is doing anything that the Pi doesn't actually have enough *compute* for.
    The *display stack* sucks, which can easily lead to it "feeling slow", but that's not the same thing, and given the technical bent of most Phoronix readers that's potentially an important distinction.
    (And potentially valuable for you as well, since you can't magically make the CPU 10x faster, but the Pi's video performance could literally improve 10x "overnight" with the right software updates).
    The ARM A72 CPU, which is not very powerful at base, was engraved in 28 nm by the RPi Foundation, while it is recommended to be engraved in 16 nm by ARM. All this to make ridiculous savings for the benefit of the RPi Foundation, which therefore provides an off-standard product (ARM) to consumers ;-( So this product will overheat even more at the slightest request for calculation.

This CPU is almost at 100% of use when you want to watch videos in 720p, I dare not imagine what it will give in 4K... A working GPU would have been welcome. And then the 4k @ 60Hz driver does not work, Vulcan does not work, there is no 64 Bits OS to optimally support 64 Bits CPUs (RPi 3, Rpi 3+, RPi 4, RPi 400) , so you can't take advantage of the very relative power of the on-board hardware.

And the OS that is stored on an SD card sounds like a big joke, it's the least reliable storage solution you can imagine in the medium / long term...

We can only do word processing, play small games that require very little system resources. Even educational software like Stellarium struggles to work on RPi.... No really it's a big paying joke (even if it's not very expensive) and which brings us almost nothing in terms of possibilities of use ;-( It's just money thrown by the window ;-(
    Phil995511
    Last edited by Phil995511; 21 August 2021, 08:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rccero

• Rccero
    replied
    Originally posted by leo_sk View Post

Oh no. I am not talking about av1 or anything. Even 1080p mp4 videos at 60fps are not playable currently. You can of course stream them via vlc or mpv, but even then its not smooth unless reduced to 720p 60
    Are you talking of the HW decoding capabilities of Raspbian or of any distro? I don't remember having any trouble playing 1080p videos in LibreElec...

Leave a comment:

• leo_sk

• leo_sk
    replied
    No question the Pi's video stack needs a LOT of work still, but the main reason YouTube sucks is because Google chose to burn user CPU on a custom codec rather than pay more for bandwidth.
    Oh no. I am not talking about av1 or anything. Even 1080p mp4 videos at 60fps are not playable currently. You can of course stream them via vlc or mpv, but even then its not smooth unless reduced to 720p 60

Leave a comment:

• leo_sk

• leo_sk
    replied
    Originally posted by mangeek View Post

Yes, but not open-source. PanVK still has a ways to go.
    I would have preferred that effort and money would rather have been poured into mali gpus than a fringe broadcom one which will hardly find any use beyond pi4, and is seriously incapable of most tasks even with most reasonable optimisations

Leave a comment:

• arQon

• arQon
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil995511 View Post
    I bought this RPi 4 during containment for my daughter, but it doesn't have enough computing power, it's not pleasant to use ;-(
    Just to be somewhat pedantic: I find it very unlikely that your daughter is doing anything that the Pi doesn't actually have enough *compute* for.
    The *display stack* sucks, which can easily lead to it "feeling slow", but that's not the same thing, and given the technical bent of most Phoronix readers that's potentially an important distinction.
    (And potentially valuable for you as well, since you can't magically make the CPU 10x faster, but the Pi's video performance could literally improve 10x "overnight" with the right software updates).

Leave a comment:

• arQon

• arQon
    replied
    Truth be told, most SBCs competing with pi4 have better graphical performance than pi4. At least they can play 1080p videos over youtube
    No question the Pi's video stack needs a LOT of work still, but the main reason YouTube sucks is because Google chose to burn user CPU on a custom codec rather than pay more for bandwidth.
    It's understandable, sure, but if they're going to insist on using AV1 when almost nothing has HW decode for it, you blaming someone else for that decision - especially HW that was produced *before AV1 even existed* - is pretty badly misdirected.

Maybe we'll see a custom VK decoder for AV1 one of these days^W years for the Pi, but that's about the only way it's going to happen. (And it's incredibly unlikely, and browsers wouldn't work with it anyway. So, yeah...)

Leave a comment:

• mangeek

• mangeek
    replied
    Mali gpus from arm are also complaint with vulkan1.2
    Yes, but not open-source. PanVK still has a ways to go.

Leave a comment:

• leo_sk

• leo_sk
    replied
    It looks like only AMD and Intel make GPUs that can do Vulkan 1.2 right out of the box
    Mali gpus from arm are also complaint with vulkan1.2 . Truth be told, most SBCs competing with pi4 have better graphical performance than pi4. At least they can play 1080p videos over youtube

Leave a comment:

• Phil995511

• Phil995511
    replied
    Originally posted by b1twise View Post

RPi is a marvel when you compare it to the state of Pine64 products.

I've liked my Odroid stuff, but I hate their cases. Honestly my ARM SBC explorations have been disappointing overall. Maybe I'm asking too much, but I've kind of gone back to x86.
    I think like you ... RPI and other SBC ARMs fall far short of x86 performance. I bought this RPi 4 during containment for my daughter, but it doesn't have enough computing power, it's not pleasant to use ;-(

To my knowledge, Apple and Ampere Computing are the only ones to offer ARM systems with sufficient computing power.

Leave a comment:

• b1twise

• b1twise
    replied
    Originally posted by Phil995511 View Post
    It's been barely 2 years since I bought an RPi 4 and I'm waiting to finally have Vulkan support and 4K @ 60Hz support...

Fortunately, the RPi Foundation does not sell houses, we would have the walls delivered as a kit and the water, heating and electricity can be functional 2 to 3 years after moving in ;-(

I'm looking forward to finally having a 100% usable RPi 4 !!
    RPi is a marvel when you compare it to the state of Pine64 products.

I've liked my Odroid stuff, but I hate their cases. Honestly my ARM SBC explorations have been disappointing overall. Maybe I'm asking too much, but I've kind of gone back to x86.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X