Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediatek MT8167 DRM Driver Support Coming For Linux 5.15

Phoronix: Mediatek MT8167 DRM Driver Support Coming For Linux 5.15

The Mediatek Direct Rendering Manager driver updates slated for Linux 5.15 were sent out this weekend...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is MediaTek still violating the GPL?

I seen some of their new Helio SoC's seem rather interesting they have caught up with the competition some and have some decent SoC are not only in budget phones anymore.
    How is the Linux support for MediaTek? Compared to Qualcomm Snapdragon, Samsung Exynos and HiSilicon Kirin?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Is MediaTek still violating the GPL?

I seen some of their new Helio SoC's seem rather interesting they have caught up with the competition some and have some decent SoC are not only in budget phones anymore.
      How is the Linux support for MediaTek? Compared to Qualcomm Snapdragon, Samsung Exynos and HiSilicon Kirin?
      I cannot comment on *all* of their SoC's, but the Helio P90 has great Linux support. Ubuntu Touch is running smooth and rock solid on my Planet Computers Cosmo Communicator with Helio P90.

Comment

Typo: Cotex

Comment

I expect that while this DRM code works, there's no mainline driver for the PowerVR GPU in this thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I cannot comment on *all* of their SoC's, but the Helio P90 has great Linux support. Ubuntu Touch is running smooth and rock solid on my Planet Computers Cosmo Communicator with Helio P90.
            What kernel does it run? 'coz mainline device-tree for mt6779 (p90) barely has enough nodes to boot linux kernel from ram, with no other IO besides UART. Doesn't look that great to me.

Comment

Originally posted by klokik View Post

What kernel does it run? 'coz mainline device-tree for mt6779 (p90) barely has enough nodes to boot linux kernel from ram, with no other IO besides UART. Doesn't look that great to me.
              It runs the 4.4 kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

It runs the 4.4 kernel.
                Which is five years old and reaches EOL (i.e. no more security patches) early next year.

Comment

Originally posted by klokik View Post

Which is five years old and reaches EOL (i.e. no more security patches) early next year.
                  Which will be migrated to the 5.x kernel from Ubuntu 20.04 when Ubuntu Touch migrates the base from 16.04 to 20.04, which is planned for later this year.

Comment

Working...
                  X