X.Org Server 21.1 Will Aim To Release In The Coming Weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by birdie View Post

I've blacklisted you 'cause I'm tired of your aggression, inability to argue and Trump-like statements (stating the desired instead of facts). As to what I've done for Linux, look no further - it's not about the article, scroll it down and find the list of contributions. To cool you down a bit you may need to know that I've been using Linux since the late 90s, probably 10 times more than you have. Cheers!
    Whatever you did way back then might not prevent you getting out of touch of today's technic, methodology and concepts.

From my personal point of view I get the impression you really really have to open your eyes and ears and see and read what people here are replying to you because you do not seem to read and/or understand what so many here are trying to show and teach you. Get your head out of the past, out of whatever it is that's hindering soaking up information. In the worst case, seek help.

Comment

I've blacklisted you 'cause I'm tired of your aggression, inability to argue and Trump-like statements (stating the desired instead of facts).
      Aggression? Maybe you should look at yourself in the mirror? Talk about lacking any self-insight....
      But I don't blame you for blacklisting me. It's obvious for everyone that you losing this discussion.

To cool you down a bit you may need to know that I've been using Linux since the late 90s, probably 10 times more than you have. Cheers!
      Nope sorry, try again.
      I've used Linux as my primary desktop OS since 1995. You are a complete newbie compared to me.
      Cheers.
      😊.

Comment

I've stated that NVIDIA doesn't currently have Linux drivers which fully support Wayland, no one is actually disputing it (aside from future support 13 years after the intial Wayland release), yet I need to "seek help".

Oh, thank you, reba Much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by doomie View Post
          birdie *cringe* i've seen you troll on here for years now, but you really kinda trolled yourself this time huh?
          I have never trolled here. Period. If anything I've pointed out glaring inconsistencies, bugs, missing features, a lack of stable API/ABI, criticical regressions, a constant state of breakage in various open source packages. Case in point: "stable" Linux 5.3.19, five reverts for "fixes" introduced in previous "stable" releases. Have a good day. I'll go seek help for my rational mind.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie;n1272633As to what I've done for Linux, look [URL="https://itvision.altervista.org/why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.htm l"
            no further[/URL] - it's not about the article, scroll it down and find the list of contributions.
            O so you are one of the ones responsible for that list that is getting horrible out of date missing stuff about simpledrm.

Yes the majority of the serous bug with AMD and Intel graphics on Linux are linked to Nvidia.

It is riddled with mistakes. Windows 10 with a enterprise kernel yes from the enterprise branch you cannot change MSR on CPU when in secure boot mode. The Linux kernel lockdown LSM that forbids MSR when secureboot is enabled has in fact been mandated by Microsoft as part of getting bootloader signed. Yes the list you just gave said "This is perfectly possible under Windows 10." that is not true. Perfectly possible using a general consumer version of Windows 10 not enterprise version of Windows 10.

Is is possible to have secureboot enabled and write MSR with Linux yes. Build kernel linux without the lockdown module and sign it. Debian has MOK where you can put your own key in to allow a kernel like this with secureboot enabled.

The MSR issue is horrible. That list is riddled with errors like this. Where its like Linux cannot do X when Linux can do X but there are extra hoops to jump though. This set of hoops is if a distributions provide a kernel missing lockdown in secureboot mode they may not end up with Microsoft allowing their bootloader to be signed. Here is a good question where is the FTC. Exactly what gives Microsoft the right to release a kernel in secureboot mode without limitation that they mandate Linux distributions have. Its not like Microsoft cannot implement these limitations because the Windows enterprise kernels have them.

Comment

I've blacklisted you 'cause I'm tired of your aggression, inability to argue and Trump-like statements (stating the desired instead of facts). As to what I've done for Linux, look no further - it's not about the article, scroll it down and find the list of contributions. To cool you down a bit you may need to know that I've been using Linux since the late 90s, probably 10 times more than you have. Cheers!
              This is ridiculous. The dude who has made posts where almost everything is bolded is claiming that someone else is Trump-like lol

So your contributions are blog posts and forums posts? Why are you touting that? Are you still around here starting fights because this article puts quotes around "IT guy" when referring to you? lol

I absolutely don't know how to use Linux, correct. Been not using it for over 20 years now. Just chilling around and spreading falsehoods. All correct.
              Sounds about right to me.

Again, you are number two or three in this thread who claims something will be supported in the future while we are talking about the status quo?
              Again, I'm currently running a driver with DMA-buf support and people currently running the version of Mesa that has support for proprietary GBM backends. We are talking about the near future of Nvidia drivers on Linux, that's correct, but the discussion only recently became about Nvidia drivers when you acted like we were using Nvidia as a scape goat for Waylands problems. Before that we were talking about the current state of Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by Siuoq View Post
                If X had any security flaws, how comes that openBSD uses it? Checkmate, waylandists!
                Except for secure installs of openBSD you are not recommend to install X11 at all.

Comment

I've stated that NVIDIA doesn't currently have Linux drivers which fully support Wayland, no one is actually disputing it (aside from future support 13 years after the intial Wayland release), yet I need to "seek help".
                  Wayland itself doesn't require GBM. GBM became a requirement for a bunch of things because many things are built with Mesa in a mind. I'm on Nvidia, and I've been using Wayland for months. That being said, GBM has become necessary for DE support, Wayland support in OBS, and a bunch of other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    Right, screw this. I've had enough.
                    At this rate desktop Linux will never ever fully transition to Wayland and developers will simply continue to flog the zombie that is Xorg and the Xserver.
                    On both my laptop and desktop, I try and fail to switch over to Wayland every few months. It's not that I don't want to, I literally could not use Wayland to do my work. For example, during the first wave of COVID the video teleconferencing software packages were all broken under Wayland, but worked perfectly under X11. In your utopian Wayland-only world, what was I do to?

Everyone might as well simply roll back all the efforts to create Wayland compositors
                    Did you ever think that your perfect Wayland protocol, requiring this massive undertaking of every Linux desktop writing their own Wayland compositors, has led to this 13 year wait? The 2 most popular desktops KDE and GNOME both have their share of bugs with Wayland for the most basic desktop features like copy/paste and screen sharing. After 13 years, you ever think it's Wayland itself, not keeping X11 on life-support, that's the primary cause of these problems?
                    Last edited by slacka; 10 August 2021, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
                      Wayland itself doesn't require GBM. GBM became a requirement for a bunch of things because many things are built with Mesa in a mind. I'm on Nvidia, and I've been using Wayland for months. That being said, GBM has become necessary for DE support, Wayland support in OBS, and a bunch of other things.
                      This is right that wayland does not require GBM but you have missed something. Wayland it self does not required GBM. But wayland does have a requirement since 2010 being file descriptor usage.

fd The file descriptor is not stored in the message buffer, but in the ancillary data of the UNIX domain socket message (msg_control).

Host OS file descriptor usage. This is why DMA BUF is important and why GBM comes kind of important. eglstreams was designed to be so called OS netural so its missing the file descriptor requirement because this would mean platform dependant code. Of course DMA BUF and GBM are both designed to use host file descriptors.

This is the fun one windows uses objects as their generic for everything item. Linux follows the old Unix saying that everything is a file and this means file descriptors/handle is you generic for everything item. Yes even processes on Linux today can be referenced by a file descriptor/handle.

So Nvidia was either need to support GBM or make something equal so that there were file handles to move around with the required process to process security features so wayland works right.

Yes being a file descriptor referencing memory there are generic file commands you should be able to use to access the memory contained in the file right. Start to see interesting problem from hell for nvidia who wanted to keep how they do their GPU memory secret.

Comment

Working...
                      X