Adreno 660 + 635 Now Supported By The Open-Source OpenGL/Vulkan Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adreno 660 + 635 Now Supported By The Open-Source OpenGL/Vulkan Drivers

Phoronix: Adreno 660 + 635 Now Supported By The Open-Source OpenGL/Vulkan Drivers

For going along with the newly added support in the MSM DRM kernel driver, Mesa's Freedreno Gallium3D OpenGL and Turnip Vulkan drivers have landed support for the Adreno 660 and Adreno 635 graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder... Where is Freedreno used in production? Pretty much every Android smartphone just ships the proprietary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      I wonder... Where is Freedreno used in production? Pretty much every Android smartphone just ships the proprietary driver.
      I've heard they are used in Chromebooks, not sure if that's true though. Also, some of the mainline phones with postmarketOS use it, I believe.

Comment

tildearrow

From the article:

"The Adreno 600 series open-source graphics support is overall in fairly robust shape these days thanks to the work of Qualcomm, Google, and other parties."

Since it's Google working on this together with Qualcomm I would say it's a no brainer that they plan to use this in Chromebooks. Why else would they put resources into this?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
          We're using them in chromebooks.. lazor (Acer Spin 513), the first of the consumer devices, is already shipping.

Since chromebooks have a much longer support window compared to android phones, we need something that we can continue to support long after qcom has forgotten about (by then) older generations ;-)

It's also why we (and qcom+linaro) have been doing so much work on upstreaming kernel support. Upstream kernel works out of the box, I've been testing my drm/msm pull requests on lazor since last year, before it was shipping.

Comment

Many thanks to all devs robclark for your great work in this matter!

However, it is really unfortunate that not even the kernel improvements are ported back to any of the older LTS kernel. One should take into account that regarding Android even 4.14 and 4.19 are quite "new". That would make really a lot of things much easier especially for non-professional code hackers like the XDA folks.

Comment

Originally posted by lorn10 View Post
              Many thanks to all devs robclark for your great work in this matter!

However, it is really unfortunate that not even the kernel improvements are ported back to any of the older LTS kernel. One should take into account that regarding Android even 4.14 and 4.19 are quite "new". That would make really a lot of things much easier especially for non-professional code hackers like the XDA folks.
              To be fair, a lot of this was new hw enablement, so not really candidate for stable backports. I've tried to make sure, at least on the drm side, that at least patches that are fixes which apply to older kernels get the appropriate 'Fixes:' tag so they end up in the LTS and stable kernels.

OTOH, I've noticed a trend that once a given SoC has pretty reasonable support upstream, we start to see a lot of android devices which use that particular SoC getting upstream kernel support as well (for example, the great work that the postmarketos folks do)

I suppose it doesn't help folks stuck on 4.x kernels, but the chromeos-5.4 kernel these devices are currently shipping with is 5.4 + backmerges from 5.4.y + backports of all the new hw enablement.. so I suppose it might be a reasonable place to look for patches once more android devices are using 5.4.

Comment

Thanks robclark for the fast answer. Yes, this work here is related to a newer SoC. But there were some really super-interesting kernel 5.x additions and improvements regarding older Snapdragon SoCs (down to the Adreno 200 line) which would be great to see in 4.14 or 4.19. Whatever, - I shouldn't complain and do it myself. But then I had first to go onto some kind of a "Linux University" and learning quite a lot in regard to kernel hacking..

Comment

I remember when Rob first started working on adreno support for the HP Touchpad tablet. I think I still have it lying around somewhere. It is amazing to see how far linux support has come for embeded graphics since.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925

Ooh nice! Sure hope it extends to Android devices soon, those phones really need that long lived support. It's only one of the various pieces of hardware that need open source drivers, but it's a critical and important start.

Open source video decode and encode support would be great too.
                    I won't claim to be an expert on the video enc/dec stack, but we are using the upstream v4l2 based video enc/dec driver (venus). AFAIU we are carrying a downstream kernel patch to enable UBWC (the "Q128" format), but that is just a workaround for lack of v4l2 support for fourcc modifiers and not intended to be a long-term solution. (And not required for functionality, just for better power/performance with higher resolution videos.)

Comment

Working...
                    X