X.Org Server 21.1 Development Snapshot Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by acobar View Post
    Nice! I'm still stuck with softwares that rely on X for remote connection. One last stable release is very welcome.
    I wonder how that should bother you, Xwayland is just X and can do everything Xorg did on bare metal in terms of network features.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

And you should be aware of the explicit statement: "there will most likely be no proper release". And you can pretty much take that to the bank(*). You are, of course, free to build your own release.

(*) A full proper release requires someone willing to do all the really really hard work no one and no org is willing to commit to do. X.org has, essentially, put out a help wanted ad, and gotten zero applications (to be honest, it was more like everyone stepped back three steps).
      Has the X.Org Foundation tried throwing some $$$ around to whet their appetites?

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

I wonder how that should bother you, Xwayland is just X and can do everything Xorg did on bare metal in terms of network features.
        another one is a good ideia, some DE don't gor with wayland in the next years and BSD and other OS can improve with a new X before they think in another solution in the next years

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

another one is a good ideia, some DE don't gor with wayland in the next years and BSD and other OS can improve with a new X before they think in another solution in the next years
          Can you speak English please?

Comment

The way I see it this serves as the upstream release but with no promises of support or bugfixes

Comment

What's exactly so complicated at making Xorg releases, vs other software ?!
              Is that a scary insurmountable mission ?

Comment

I wish the BSD, Illumos, OpenIndiana and OpenIndiana communities would step up and maintain X.Org and be release manager for version 21.1.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

There will be no new X11 server, X11 is a fundamentally broken protocol. The new X is called Wayland, designed by the same people who maintained Xorg for +20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    I wish the BSD, Illumos, OpenIndiana and OpenIndiana communities would step up and maintain X.Org and be release manager for version 21.1.
                    *BSDs have barely enough people to maintain *BSDs. Illumos, OpenIndiana, Augustiner Schweinshaxe and OpenIndiana are maintained and used by like 3 people, and I doubt anyone of them does want to bother with Xorg.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbie424242 View Post
                      What's exactly so complicated at making Xorg releases, vs other software ?!
                      Is that a scary insurmountable mission ?
                      A release means it has to be maintained for years to come. No one wants to do that.

Comment

Working...
                      X