X.Org 7.5 Released. Wait, Nope!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org 7.5 Released. Wait, Nope!

Phoronix: X.Org 7.5 Released. Wait, Nope!

Today X.Org 7.5 with X Server 1.7 is scheduled to be released, per the release schedule that Daniel Stone proposed earlier this year. X Server 1.7 includes X Input 2 (a.k.a. Input Hotness) and Multi-Pointer X is now enabled by default (it has been in the master branch for about a year, but it has been disabled due to X Input 2 missing). This key piece to the open-source Linux desktop also features E-EDID support, the X Server no longer needing to symlink to Mesa sources, and a horde of bug-fixes. Aside from an updated X Server, X.Org 7.5 will include various updates to different input and graphics drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i just hope that X will die soon and all the operating systems depending on it will migrate to Wayland

(yeah right)

Comment

It's a pity that such a key piece of the free desktop continues to have manpower troubles...

Comment

Yeah, it is.

But it also most be ridiculously hard to help contribute to it. Even using their API is a horrifying experience (no documentation whatsoever and such a weird, big, and complex format).

Comment

bashing does not change anything

@phoronix: I don't see what all that bashing between the lines is good for.
          Yes, Xorg has a hard time because of the lack of manpower, but instead of complaining all the time, why don't you help and start a call for developers?

@89c51: The question is what would you gain from switching to something different. What do you dislike about X, except they have manpower shortage? After all, most of the problems I experience are not design issues - they could be adressed with much less effort than rewriting the whole thing.

After all, you have to find people who develop Wayland as far as needed to be useable. Given the lack of Xorg devs I doubt this will happen anytime soon.

- Clemens

Comment

I still think Xorg always sucked and will always suck.. Apple should open source Quartz and we would all be happy.. Or, as I'm on dreamland today, X could just die as someone appear with something so awesome that put Quartz on its knees

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxhippy View Post
              Yes, Xorg has a hard time because of the lack of manpower, but instead of complaining all the time, why don't you help and start a call for developers?
              Bashing? I am not trying to bash them at all. This article in fact is to expose the situation and make it very clear and is to call out for developers and helpers, hence all of the text referring to companies that contribute, things other people can do, etc.
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

@89c51: The question is what would you gain from switching to something different. What do you dislike about X, except they have manpower shortage? After all, most of the problems I experience are not design issues - they could be adressed with much less effort than rewriting the whole thing.

After all, you have to find people who develop Wayland as far as needed to be useable. Given the lack of Xorg devs I doubt this will happen anytime soon.

- Clemens
                I always heard X have an archaic and non inviting code base.. How the hell that would be good for new developers wanting to contribute?

Comment

The question is what would you gain from switching to something different. What do you dislike about X, except they have manpower shortage? After all, most of the problems I experience are not design issues - they could be adressed with much less effort than rewriting the whole thing.

Restarting with a much more smaller and cleaner code base seems to have given KDE's desktop shell a new life... much more developers seems to be contributing to Plasma rather than the old KDesktop and development pace seems to be much quicker.
                  At first probably you'll miss the 20 years of features implemented in X, but what's good about Wayland is that you can run X in it.

Comment

Originally posted by puelocesar View Post
                    X could just die as someone appear with something so awesome that put Quartz on its knees
                    1. XOrg is far more than graphics
                    2. Could you explain how Quartz is so much different compared to XRender?

I have to agree about the quite ugly code-base, I don't want to predict how a re-write would look like once its has all the features people *depend* on.

- Clemens
                    Last edited by Linuxhippy; 01 April 2009, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X