No announcement yet.

Microsoft's Hyper-V DRM Display Driver Will Land For Linux 5.14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plan-g sorry I cannot quote, but my desktop view mobile has been buggy, the wsl2 is the dxg stuff yes, it all falls under what Microsoft is calling GPUPV, or WDDM GPU paravirtualization.

before it was only available on windows guests, but WSL2 introduced dxgkrnl for linux, which is what handles sending DX12 calls (Produced by gallium, gallium treats DX12 like it treats zink. so it spits out the opengl calls as dx12 calls natively)

those DX12 calls then get picked up by the /dev/dxg, and sent to the host over GPUPV, at once point Microsoft was going to get the DXGkrnl mainstreamed, but I don't think it ever materialized, which is why I asked. I had hoped I missed something.

Comment

Does somebody know status of this?
      Is it easy to enable in the Hyper-V VM ?

edit: kernel 6.0.2

Comment

Originally posted by Xemanth View Post
        Does somebody know status of this?
        Is it easy to enable in the Hyper-V VM ?

edit: kernel 6.0.2
        The DRM driver is enabled by default at least in Fedora 34+. What distribution are you wanting to use?
        Last edited by plan-g; 27 November 2022, 10:52 PM. Reason: Corrected Fedora 36 to 36, clarified that the DRM driver (not GPU paravirtualization) is enabled by default

Comment

I just booted up openSUSE tumbleweed (microOS desktop actually), and it's enabled by default there too.
          image.png

Comment

Originally posted by plan-g View Post

The DRM driver is enabled by default at least in Fedora 34+. What distribution are you wanting to use?
            Ubuntu 22.04

Comment

Working...
            X