No announcement yet.

X.Org Server Git Lands Latest Patches To Help NVIDIA XWayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't consider Deepin a serious business. It mostly reuses existing components ftom GNOME and KDE adding nice blurry shell, but it's terribly buggy X11 desktop that nobody uses. Are Deepin developers involved in some common projects that it utilizes like xserver-xorg, kwin, GTK or I don't know... NetworkManager even? I'm asking seriously, I have no knowledge about that.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
      Red Hat… As usual…
      Oh, FFS, put away your pom-poms. If they're the ones that are going to tell us how great Wayland is and that it's the future, then they had damn well better be doing the work to make it reality. In fact, they should be doing more, such as helping non-GNOME desktops with this major change.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Oh, FFS, put away your pom-poms. If they're the ones that are going to tell us how great Wayland is and that it's the future, then they had damn well better be doing the work to make it reality. In fact, they should be doing more, such as helping non-GNOME desktops with this major change.
        The main component of Wayland after all is the Wayland protocol and library. They already support two different usable compositor/display server libraries, Mutter and Weston. Both can be simply picked up by smaller desktops. There is also wlroots. Xfce for example tends to either Mutter or wlroots.

KDE on the other hand, they wanted to use the Qt Company written Wayland Server implementation and that was their mistake. Maybe in 5 years or so, it will be as production ready as Mutter is today for Wayland.

Comment

bple2137 Deepin is the sweet spot if you want a Chinese, non-reproducible, Qt telemetry infected desktop.
          qarium Smart people don’t sign CLAs. Smart people don’t feed fragmentation just because some cults are emotionally attached to inferior compositors.
          bla bla bla, bla, bla bla.
          I really wanted to give you a longer reply, but I don't have time right now, and I think it wouldn't have made a difference in your answer

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Fedora being the first distro to go Wayland by default for Plasma?

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
              I'm not eagerly waiting for 470 series driver, but very eagerly waiting for kernel panic fix in current production and new feature drivers with DP connected displays. A whole month already.
              Yep, it's ridiculous:
              Dell P2418D (DP) and Arch Linux also freezes. Now I’m using 455.50.19 to avoid the issue.

For now I'm using 455.50.19 to avoid this nasty bug.

Comment

JackLilhammers Please do. A few months back you were ready to maintain a fork. Now you are back to tolerating Qt and CLA. Please explain how this happened.
                Apparently my english is worse than I thought, because I don't think I ever said that I was willing to single handedly maintain a Qt fork.

Yes, I joined the conversation about the community maintaned v5.15 and I would have liked to help a little if I had time, but I don't think that qualifies me as being ready (or able) to maintain a fork all by myself.

Also, have you noticed that you managed to be racist in your previous post?

Comment

Originally posted by ivan.cwb View Post

Well, to be honest, LOC is a stupid measure.

I remember AMD sending hundreds of thousands of line to kernel, most of it just auto-generated headers files.

I also remember about the case IBM/Microsoft on OS/2:

Code:
                  The two companies had significant differences in culture and vision.
                  Microsoft favored the open hardware system approach that contributed to its success on the PC.
                  IBM sought to use OS/2 to drive sales of its own hardware, and urged Microsoft to drop features,
                  such as [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_font"]fonts[/URL], that IBM's hardware did not support.
                  Microsoft programmers also became frustrated with IBM's bureaucracy and its use of [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source_lines_of_code"]lines of code[/URL]
                  to measure [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programmer_productivity"]programmer productivity[/URL]. IBM developers complained about the terseness and lack of
                  [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comment_(computing)"]comments[/URL] in Microsoft's code, while Microsoft developers complained that IBM's code was [URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_bloat"]bloated[/URL].
                  OS/2 2.0+ was far superior to Windows at the time.

Comment

JackLilhammers well maybe I got it wrong then. I got the impression you intended to fork and finally do away with the CLA. If that’s not the case then fine.
                    I'm flattered, but I'm nowhere near good enough to do something like that :'D

By the way, what tQtC did with LST versions is wrong, even if it didn't have a much of an impact, but CLAs per se aren't bad.
                    If you were to stop using open source projects that have a CLAs you could just shutdown your pc and forget about it.

However, tell me why do you think that despite all the supposed downsides Qt is much more used than freer alternatives.
                    I'm honestly asking. What do you think the Gtk project should do better to improve its usage?

Comment

144Hz Seriously?
                      I asked you a real question and this is the best answer you could give?

PS: You know every counterargument to your post. I'm not going to repeat them.

Comment

Working...
                      X