Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mumblings Of A "Big New" Open-Source GPU Driver Coming...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
    obviously it's not a videocard at all, it's some ai accelerator
    Explain.

Comment

All of my newer computers purchased will all have Intel GPU's.

Screw this crap with proprietary non-functioning garbage and screw games requiring GPU's with proprietary drivers.

I really enjoy booting Linux based operating systems with open-sourced kernel based GPU drivers. No more mucking around with having to download/install proprietary drivers after installing Linux based operating systems. No more surprise kernel OOPS/Bugs. No more, I have to buy a new GPU due to proprietary drivers no longer being maintained.

Life is great with Intel based GPU's!

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
        All of my newer computers purchased will all have Intel GPU's.

Screw this crap with proprietary non-functioning garbage and screw games requiring GPU's with proprietary drivers.

I really enjoy booting Linux based operating systems with open-sourced kernel based GPU drivers. No more mucking around with having to download/install proprietary drivers after installing Linux based operating systems. No more surprise kernel OOPS/Bugs. No more, I have to buy a new GPU due to proprietary drivers no longer being maintained.

Life is great with Intel based GPU's!
        you do realize that AMD also has open-source drivers in the kernel, and doesn't have the huge downside of subpar CPU and GPU performance that you get with Intel, don't you?

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

Why's that? I fully expect them to just continue being dicks, even after buying ARM.
          it would be naive to think anything else.
          No way the government regulators will care one bit about them opening up GPU drivers.
          There are no guarantees by any means, sure. And the risk for them acting like they did in the past, is high. I can see that, that's what's making some vendors think twice about RISC-V or even OpenPOWER. But making the step from GPU vendor to ecosystem vendor comes with responsibilities or loosing your architecture customers sooner or later. And the richness of the ARM ecosystem makes it so strong, at least Nvidia talks about these things seeming to understand that and I will give them the chance to act upon it. But only time will tell if they can make that transition in company culture. I also see the chance that Nvidia can evolve the ARM ecosystem in a positive way with their technologies.

Comment

Hmm, an article with 60+ comments. Of course they include birdie trolling and harassing Linux users. No "sucking AMD's d**k" this time though, so his "arguments" got a lot better I see.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

If that's the case then ur a doody head

But, yeah, you do seem to get both attacked by the mob and censored more than most around here. The fact that half the posts people have quoted have been censored in just this thread is good evidence of the censoring.

Try not to take any of this the wrong way, but you could be really damn abrasive back in the day. Still can be from time to time if we're being honest. That's the biggest reason I can think of in regards to the mob attacking you. It's no different than how I used to push the boundaries of what was and wasn't acceptable here under the guise of humor. I quit doing that if you haven't noticed. I still post humorous stuff, but I try not to be so edgy about it.

I'm really, really surprised that some of my old posts are still around...like this wonderful, boundary pushing, gem from last year. I just reported myself for that one so it might not exist for much longer.
              Nope. Birdie's current behavior is what's abrasive, and deserves all the censorship in the world until he learns how to behave like a proper human being and not like a d*ck. Birdie's old behavior was not just abrasive, it was disgusting and IMHO worthy of a permanent ban.

Please don't confuse a weird sense of humor that is easily misunderstood or even disliked by other people (according to what you insinuated anyway; I personally have no idea what kind of "edgy" posts you're referring to) with birdie's deliberately antisocial behavior.

Comment

I think it can't be nvidia because that would be diametral to their history and business concepts.

However I wonder more about how many hope it will be nvidia. Why? You yourself chose a system with this hardware and knew (or simpy failed to inform yourself before buying) they have their binary blob, a bad history of everything and most of the people know the "F*ck you, nvidia!" meme, which might have made one or the other to dig for some information about why such a prominent person looses his temper that much and publicy?

I am not going to say "you simply have no right to hope: you brought this upon yourself, fully knowing what this brings with it, so cope with your choices like others have to cope with their self-inflicted burdens" because I think overall it would be a big step in the right direction if they would open source their driver or add a new open source driver or massively support existing open source drivers. But, yeah. Not much hope. But it would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

If that's the case then ur a doody head

But, yeah, you do seem to get both attacked by the mob and censored more than most around here. The fact that half the posts people have quoted have been censored in just this thread is good evidence of the censoring.

Try not to take any of this the wrong way, but you could be really damn abrasive back in the day. Still can be from time to time if we're being honest. That's the biggest reason I can think of in regards to the mob attacking you. It's no different than how I used to push the boundaries of what was and wasn't acceptable here under the guise of humor. I quit doing that if you haven't noticed. I still post humorous stuff, but I try not to be so edgy about it.

I'm really, really surprised that some of my old posts are still around...like this wonderful, boundary pushing, gem from last year. I just reported myself for that one so it might not exist for much longer.
                  Im always adoring your edgy humor. I guess the problem with edgy humor in general it is often used by sinister guys to cover their disgusting thoughts instead of using the humor stilistic for pointing out the grotesque appearance of the topic or its comparison to the actually discussed topic. Hence using the rethoric tool of harming boundaries to highlight the abscurity of a topic. Distinguishing between this humor in an isolated non-judged way and the real problem underling the joke but not addressed here and intentionally meant is not so easy for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

It's sad Microsoft cannot and will not sue you for defamation. As for me personally, I don't care about statements with zero proof. Find someone else to argue with.

I need an actual proof, network dumps showing that Microsoft indeed siphons random files from people's computers.

So far, no one in the entire world has produced anything which makes you a liar.
                    Originally posted by cynical View Post

Well of course this is unprovable because the network traffic is encrypted. We have no idea what they are sending, we only know that data from your computer is headed for their servers. It could be simple diagnostic data, your web surfing habits, or anything else really.

older windows release but very frightening - MS official statement
                    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...stic-data-1703

German ..from our "IT-NSA-light"
                    https://www.bsi.bund.de/SharedDocs/D...cationFile&v=1
                    Last edited by CochainComplex; 23 May 2021, 06:19 AM.

Comment

8 pages and the tentative best guess is Imagination Technologies?

OK.

(plus a bunch of pointless "he said, she said" and "NVidia is terribad" drivel)?

Last edited by ermo; 23 May 2021, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X