Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mumblings Of A "Big New" Open-Source GPU Driver Coming...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by illwieckz View Post
    I have seen many people hoping it's Nvidia, but if Nvidia opens their driver
    then it would be half baked and would take 6 years to catch up to AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      I'm guessing Samsung. I can't imagine it would be NVidia.
      Idoubt it is samsung - they dont have their own graphics IP. Until now they have used MALI and they are looking to adopt RDNA. The drivers for those shouldnt be too different from what is out there already and I suspect their existing platforms already have a level of support.

The two companies that have tried to screw Linux people over are nVidia and Imagination Technologies. nVidia are flying too high to be the ones being discussed here.

I dont think it is Vivante because they are not big and also there is a driver being developed there already, being used on Librem5 and pinetab/phone.

I suspect Imagination Technology. They will be desperate around now. given the short lift for their cashcow and everyone else avoiding them like the plague.

I also suspect the salty response is because they are trying to high ball developers by keeping the userspace closed source, but the Linux devs having none of that by requiring an opensource implementation (as otherwise it is untested code).

I remember reading Intel actually developed two separate drivers for the gma500 IP they had licenced from Imagination Tech for the purposes of opensourcing the code, only to not be allowed to release them by Imagination Tech
      Last edited by You-; 22 May 2021, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
        Buying ARM would also mean that Nvidia would need to show to everyone that they are more willing to cooperate with other companies in the future.
        Why's that? I fully expect them to just continue being dicks, even after buying ARM.
        it would be naive to think anything else.
        No way the government regulators will care one bit about them opening up GPU drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          Most such computers run bespoke Linux installations which are not your typical Ubuntu distro.
          I'll just leave this here then:

Really looking forward on hearing your expertise on this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Kristian Joensen View Post
            Aside from a full, well-functioning, high performance, feature complete, open source DX12 implementation from MS, only Nvidia even remotely counts as "big". Nothing else even comes close to "big".
            I havent read the whole thread so shoot me if someone mentioned this already - but why would a dx12 driver go in the kernel? It would be a mesa contribution would it not?

Comment

It has got to be 3dfx...oh wait, wrong decade.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie
                I need an actual proof, network dumps showing that Microsoft indeed siphons random files from people's computers.

So far, no one in the entire world has produced anything which makes you a liar.
                Well of course this is unprovable because the network traffic is encrypted. We have no idea what they are sending, we only know that data from your computer is headed for their servers. It could be simple diagnostic data, your web surfing habits, or anything else really.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
                  Otherwise it's Intel Xe HPG dGPU for me.
                  why would intel employee call intel "some vendor" and threaten it with losing market share? obviously it's not a videocard at all, it's some ai accelerator

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                    why would intel employee call intel "some vendor" and threaten it with losing market share? obviously it's not a videocard at all, it's some ai accelerator
                    I didn't say this article was referring to Intel........I said I'd I were to buy another dGPU it would be Intel

Comment

Originally posted by lamka02sk View Post
                      Even tho I hope it is from Nvidia, it may be also Samsung since they are preparing their new Exynos CPUs with Radeon graphics.
                      I wonder if that will be used in upcoming Google Pixel devices? Lots of partnership between Google and Samsung lately. And rumours of Google's custom SoC (which might just be Samsung).

Comment

Working...
                      X