Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mumblings Of A "Big New" Open-Source GPU Driver Coming...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kpedersen

Your reasoning is so horribly unsound, it's just laughable.

Companies running supercomputers 1) don't care about the Linux graphical stack, they use NVIDIA solely for CUDA computations 2) don't care about Linux NVIDIA drivers being open or not. Most such computers run bespoke Linux installations which are not your typical Ubuntu distro.

In short, find something more plausible. Also, thank you for "plebs like me", I've long stopped with personal insults (I now talk only about what people say or claim) but insulting me - it's totally OK in these forums.
    Last edited by tildearrow; 22 May 2021, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie

What's middle-finger about NVIDIA? Not "properly" supporting an OS which has next to zero market share? Maybe NVIDIA should drop Linux support altogether BTW? Will you be happy then? I hope you will. I have a firm belief it's what Linux fans want. To have almost zero choice in what they can run Linux on. It's either AMD, or anemic Intel iGPUs.
      They have spyware on Windows and on Linux you cannot have proper privacy, security and freedom because their driver is closed source.
      Planned obsolence, which is anti-consumer and anti-environment is also on the table with a closed source driver.
      Wayland and any bugfix and improvement is also impossible without Nvidia.
      Please tell me what is not middle-finger about Nvidia ?
      Because I see absolutely 0 reasons why anyone who cares about their privacy, security and freedom (basically a Linux user) would use Nvidia.

But in the end, who the fuck cares, cause I don't !
      I have decided to spend my hard earned money only on devices whose manufactures respect me as a customer like Intel and AMD and I'm very happy with in kernel out of the box support !

Comment

Probably some ARM for theirs linux for cars initiative

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post

Haha, the top 500 super computers are *all* Linux. And over 50% of them utilize NVIDIA hardware.
          The cost of these machines actually dwarfs every Windows 10 consumer device ever made and sold.

But of course, they give the source to those "big guys". It is really just plebs like you and I that miss out. And yet we represent the 99% of... well, y'know. Humans.
          Don't respond to birdie! The thread will collapse!

Originally posted by bridie
          Again, I'm making a mistake of browsing these forums in incognito mode. Looks like all the people I've ever banned have totally deserved it: they continue to spew totally irrational very fanboyish statements which are too often not logically sound.
          How did you manage to get the ignore list working? We all thought it was useless and it did not work?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
            Oh look, it's a ... NVIDIA?!?!?!

Anything else simply doesn't make any sense!
            [MediaTek, Exynos, Vivante... LOL!!]
            Maybe your horizon is a bit narrow?! Let me enlighten you: Ever heard of the guys who buy everything with a Qualcomm chip in it because of their superb open source support? That means many Custom ROMs to choose from and a longer life of your device beyond what the OEM is willing to support more often than not. Mediatek did not get the importance of open source up to this date and suffered market share to Qualcomm as they were stepping up their game in the low- and mid-range market which was Mediatek's bread and butter business. To counter this, a serious open source strategy would make lots of sense for them or any other ARM SOC vendor to nullify that advantage.

Comment

My guess is that it is Imagination submitting an initial driver for their newer PowerVR GPUs. I remember Michael reported that Imagination were hiring driver developers to work on an open source Linux GPU driver.

I think it makes some sense, Imagination likely wants to expand their customer base as they don't want to solely depend on Apple as a revenue stream, which to my knowledge is just paying Imagination IP fees now that they moved GPU development in-house. That pretty much leaves Imagination with the Linux-based market, as Linux has a strong presence in smartphones/tablets (android, chromeos) and the various infotainment systems in vehicles. The primary competitors to Imagination in the Linux space already have open source driver stacks (ARM with panfrost, Qualcomm with freedreno), so having an upstream stack would help bring Imagination up to par and remove a potential barrier to making sales.

Comment

It's gonna be AMDGPU2.

Comment

What about samsung licensing amd tech for graphics in their new exynos chip? Could it be that driver?

Comment

Originally posted by baka0815 View Post
                    That being nvidia could be an explanation why the nuveau guys arr so silent in the last month. They might work together with nvidia via nda to bring the open source driver to live.
                    However if that's true or not, I would not buy an nvidia card in the upcoming years.
                    This is not something a single month makes or breaks. Red Hat is working on Nvidia's stack for a couple of years already without much to show off to us consumers yet as the stack lacks love elsewhere from Nvidia (re-clocking, firmware), but Red Hat's Jerome Glisse was spearheading HMM with Nvidia first, long before AMD adopted it, too. Karol Herbst also works for Red Hat on Nouveau support and a couple of Collabora guys on OpenCL and other Khronos related stuff. I did not get it why Red Hat put so much ressources into an open Nvidia stack which was left in a dire state for so long. With IBM losing Nvidia to the ARM camp, I also cannot see an incentive to cooperate on future Super Computing deals here which would justify more investments from Red Hat into Nvidia's stack, but they can surprise me if they want. Buying ARM would also mean that Nvidia would need to show to everyone that they are more willing to cooperate with other companies in the future. An open source stack would be the first step into this direction.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                      1) don't care about the Linux graphical stack, they use NVIDIA solely for CUDA computations
                      Which is part of the graphical stack. You may not know this but many maths accelerators share similar architectures to the consumer GPUs. They evolved from GPUs.

2) don't care about Linux NVIDIA drivers being open or not. Most such computers run bespoke Linux installations which are not your typical Ubuntu distro.
                      Thus the need for the source code access. The consumer Ubuntu drivers will not run on their bespoke Linux.

Also, thank you for "plebs like me", I've long stopped with personal insults (I now talk only about what people say or claim) but insulting me - it's totally OK in these forums.
                      Exactly kiddo. Plebs like like you and I.

Comment

Working...
                      X