Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mumblings Of A "Big New" Open-Source GPU Driver Coming...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to believe it's NVIDIA only it's very very very unlikely they will release the drivers source code (patents, 3d-party code, secret "sauce", i.e. optimizations, etc).

More realistically they could make their drivers work like AMD has already done: open source kernel drivers + closed OR open source userspace components. This will allow users to enjoy their top tier OpenGL/Vulkan/CUDA support, and if you're inclined you could use the Mesa implementation of OpenGL/Vulkan.

I'd have done exactly that.

As for Microsoft, the only major thing they could have done, is to port WDDM to the Linux kernel, so that Linux users could use Windows GPU drivers directly. It's so bloody difficult and equally difficult to maintain (since the kernel doesn't have any semblance of stable APIs), I don't think this is it.
    Last edited by birdie; 22 May 2021, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Half the people here are getting their hopes up to ride the hype choo choo -- I think managing expectations is a better bet.

I'm betting that it's not Nvidia because you know... having a open driver would have been the most historically _LOGICAL_ thing to do to maximize stability & be prosumer. So obviously due to their long history of fucking consumers in the ass I think you need to convince them that doing prosumer things are "bad" for consumers to convince them to even give it a shot.

Obviously, being a consumer hostage to a hostile company that completely fucked up stability and made linux look bad for decades has made me salty. I expect hell to freeze over or Timmah Sweeney do a 180 before Nvidia becomes intelligent enough to understand _why_ it was in their best interest all long to have had a open driver.

Comment

I hope its NVIDIA to, i don't even need their proprietary enhancements in it if they want to lock that in the closed source driver, as long as it works as well as AMD's open source driver does and the games run fast enough and the desktop environments bug free i'd buy NVIDIA again because then i'd have the best in Windows and Linux. AMD cards are nice of course, but i do miss some of the additional features the Nvidia cards have but would never buy them if they support linux as poorly as they currently do.

But my logical mind expects it to be Intel, or something from the ARM space.

Comment

I suspect it's some AI/Server horse shit that will benefit us only in accelerating job loses. Intel already has their hooks in, so it ain't them. The rest are already there, useless, or consumer hostile. Think we can file this under DGAF.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie

What's middle-finger about NVIDIA? Not "properly" supporting an OS which has next to zero market share?
            Haha, the top 500 super computers are *all* Linux. And over 50% of them utilize NVIDIA hardware.
            The cost of these machines actually dwarfs every Windows 10 consumer device ever made and sold.

But of course, they give the source to those "big guys". It is really just plebs like you and I that miss out. And yet we represent the 99% of... well, y'know. Humans.

Comment

Interesting. I wonder what it could be, many guesses here.

Comment

That being nvidia could be an explanation why the nuveau guys arr so silent in the last month. They might work together with nvidia via nda to bring the open source driver to live.
                However if that's true or not, I would not buy an nvidia card in the upcoming years.

Comment

backchannel entertainment
                  luckily for everyone involved it usually stays there, and if not only shows up in public years later
                  so impossible to guess which exact vendor/project I'm subtweeting here right now :-)
                  This is one of the follow-up tweets. Seems like it'll take a while 'til we find out what vendor it is.

Comment

Isn't "big" more likely to refer to lines of code than how exciting it is?

Comment

This is the SiS driver update I’ve been waiting for

Comment

Working...
                      X