No announcement yet.

Panfrost Open-Source Mali Driver Adding Mediatek MT8183 Support With Linux 5.14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panfrost Open-Source Mali Driver Adding Mediatek MT8183 Support With Linux 5.14

Phoronix: Panfrost Open-Source Mali Driver Adding Mediatek MT8183 Support With Linux 5.14

The open-source Panfrost graphics driver stack that is now seeing support backed by Arm is going to see Mediatek MT8183 support with the upcoming Linux 5.14 kernel cycle this summer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The Mediatek MT8183 was announced at the end of 2019 with featuring eight Cortex-A73 cores and four Cortex-A53 cores while using Arm Mali G72 MP3 graphics.
    Hah, I wish.

Comment

Is MediaTek still violating the GPL?
      Is MediaTek still cheating on benchmarks?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Is MediaTek still violating the GPL?
        Is MediaTek still cheating on benchmarks?
        no idea.. but tbh, not seeing how that is relevant to upstream kernel and open source graphics?

Comment

I know Panfrost has had support for the G72 for a while now but what does that mean exactly? Can I buy a specific Chromebook or Android device and have a working graphics stacks with full blown Kwin, Mutter, or Sway with a mainline kernel?

Comment

I went from having no Mali devices to having a few recently but I've not had much luck with it on some Android TV boxes I've installed proper Linux on. glmark2 segfaults during one test for my T720 board and then I'm getting about 1/6th of the expected performance on my G31. I'd really like to see Mali working at full capacity on my g31 box.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
              I know Panfrost has had support for the G72 for a while now but what does that mean exactly? Can I buy a specific Chromebook or Android device and have a working graphics stacks with full blown Kwin, Mutter, or Sway with a mainline kernel?
              Not sure what patches are needed, but I know folks have linux running on things like duet (krane)..

And fwiw, if you are not looking for mali specifically but just upstream kernel and open src gfx drivers, check out the acer spin 513 chromebook (aka lazor, snapdragon 7c/sc7180), that has worked out of the box with upstream kernel since around 5.9 or 5.10?

EDIT: This might be useful to figure out what is needed and what works currently https://github.com/Maccraft123/Cadmium
              Last edited by robclark; 19 May 2021, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post

Not sure what patches are needed, but I know folks have linux running on things like duet (krane)..

And fwiw, if you are not looking for mali specifically but just upstream kernel and open src gfx drivers, check out the acer spin 513 chromebook (aka lazor, snapdragon 7c/sc7180), that has worked out of the box with upstream kernel since around 5.9 or 5.10?

EDIT: This might be useful to figure out what is needed and what works currently https://github.com/Maccraft123/Cadmium
                Thank you. I will definitely be keeping an eye on that page.

Comment

Working...
                X