X.Org Server Git Lands Support For Hardware-Accelerated XWayland With NVIDIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by loganj View Post
    wayland desktops are still full of problems.
    I've been 100% on Wayland for almost a year, and Wayland is less trouble for me than Xorg was. Full-speed fractional scaling is dope. The only weirdness I have to work around is launching Audacity with XWayland instead of natively because the scrolling was eating RAM.

Comment

Originally posted by cjcox View Post

Unless there's some sort of "new" kind of distro.... I don't think so. But I'll place the wager that I'm right and you're wrong... then we'll see, right?
      If you see up the thread, ChristianSchaller posted that Fedora is planning to get this feature soon. It is not unusual for Fedora to do these changes. It is sort of in between a rolling release and a traditional release model in terms of updates policy.

Comment

Unless there's some sort of "new" kind of distro.... I don't think so. But I'll place the wager that I'm right and you're wrong... then we'll see, right?
        Don't need any "new" kind of distro. There's nothing stopping a distro like Ubuntu from pushing that patch. They already back port patches to older version of kernels. Ubuntu 21.04 uses the standalone release of XWayland now. If they deem it important enough, they could push their own branch that includes this patch or push a point release without having to worry about it effecting X as a whole.

Comment

Please don't. You'll lose. This has already happened before, with, for example, the patches Nvidia pushed to xorg when it added offscreen rendering. Distros like Fedora (not rolling release) pushed the changes into their version of what it was, at the time xorg-1.20.5 IIRC. A simple `dnf upgrade` got you the patches.

Comment

Originally posted by ix900 View Post
            Nvidia posts often bring out a bunch of cry babies as usual because Nvidia doesn't do things their way. Who knew? lol.
            Well, unlike many other things people complain and cry about in the FOSS community, a GPU is something you've paid for. And particularly considering the prices people pay for GPUs these days, proper software support doesn't seem like all that much to ask for.

Comment

My old 1080 is going for $450 on ebay. I paid $350 for it 2 years ago. And I'm seeing $2000+ retail on the new higher model nvidia gpus. It seems like a shtshow, but maybe this shortage will give linux/nvidia the time they need to get this done right.

Comment

Originally posted by ChristianSchaller View Post
                In regards to the timing of when you can find this in a major distribution, we have been working closely with NVidia on this, so our aim is to have this support out in Fedora either day and date with the NVidia driver release or shortly afterwards.
                Argh! You just burst the bubble of NVidia haters who think NVidia hates Linux and esp. Wayland!

Comment

Originally posted by angrypie View Post

Only if you're an NVIDIA user.
                  Then how come I still have issues on my Intel-only hardware? Seriously, people on here keep sprouting the same nonsense that Intel and AMD are issue-free on Wayland, but I've said it again and again that I still cannot run a proper Wayland session without it crashing on my Intel-only hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Argh! You just burst the bubble of NVidia haters who think NVidia hates Linux and esp. Wayland!
                    Is this an NVIDIA leather jacket licking contest? Anyway, try harder.

I have no idea about your issues with Wayland on Intel drivers, maybe ask Intel? At least they weren't actively sabotaging Wayland until it was too late.
                    Last edited by angrypie; 10 April 2021, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Nvidia does not hate Linux, though it does not love it either. It does the absolute minimum, and it does it later then everyone else. And it still tries to push its own ways like using EGLStreams that is a complete misfit for Wayland or driving more then one application in general.

I for myself gave my 1060 6GB away, it was just too much pain in my ass to maintain that damn hackjob of a driver. I am just sorry that I gave it away to someone who also wants to use Linux and he is gonna have pain.

Comment

Working...
                      X