X.Org Reins In Their Cloud Costs, Switches Public Clouds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

They do get big funding if they can afford $6000/month for CI which is what this originally cost. To be perfectly honest they could even do this all for free if they're willing to tie themselves to gitlab or github, but if you're running the costs you can get a 32 Core EPYC Dell rack mounted server for <$5K or a 64 core one for ~$10K and then what? maybe $50-100/month to colocate or even free if they can twist a university's arm or maybe get one of the big Linux companies onboard.
    $6000 a month is not that big, it's less than a single dev' cost. I don't think you should get a single server for CI, that gives you no backup when it is down, so I'd halve the cores into 2, or maybe the back up needs less power? But yeah I get your point, it's a very fair one and if ESR can get free computers to port GCC to git, the X foundation should too.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

$6000 a month is not that big, it's less than a single dev' cost. I don't think you should get a single server for CI, that gives you no backup when it is down, so I'd halve the cores into 2, or maybe the back up needs less power? But yeah I get your point, it's a very fair one and if ESR can get free computers to port GCC to git, the X foundation should too.
      No it's big, it's very big to be spending on infrastructure. If you can buy a pretty damn good server every month for what you're spending on cloud services, and you don't need a real cluster you're doing infrastructure wrong. Even if you need a cluster you're probably doing infrastructure wrong, especially for a foundation. There are very few foundations in the open source ecosystem that are rich enough to even be paying dev's salaries. Xorg while incredibly important ultimately has a very small umbrella of software that they cover, so 1 server is really all they need load wise, sure you can throw in a second for redundancy... Although once again if you're an open source project and you don't feel a burning need to self host, you can do CI for free through Github or Gitlab.

This particular choice of theirs is just a terrible one.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post

No it's big, it's very big to be spending on infrastructure. If you can buy a pretty damn good server every month for what you're spending on cloud services, and you don't need a real cluster you're doing infrastructure wrong. Even if you need a cluster you're probably doing infrastructure wrong, especially for a foundation. There are very few foundations in the open source ecosystem that are rich enough to even be paying dev's salaries. Xorg while incredibly important ultimately has a very small umbrella of software that they cover, so 1 server is really all they need load wise, sure you can throw in a second for redundancy... Although once again if you're an open source project and you don't feel a burning need to self host, you can do CI for free through Github or Gitlab.

This particular choice of theirs is just a terrible one.
        Fair enough.

Comment

Working...
        X