Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Reins In Their Cloud Costs, Switches Public Clouds

Phoronix: X.Org Reins In Their Cloud Costs, Switches Public Clouds

Last year we wrote how the X.Org/FreeDesktop.org cloud hosting costs were getting out of control so much so that they would either need to start finding sponsors and/or cut the continuous integration (CI) services offered to the hosted open-source projects, among other measures, as the costs were ballooning greatly. Thanks to a number of improvements to their hosting configuration, that is becoming a more manageable amount...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GSE is an expensive service, who would have though?

These days I am getting extremely cautius deploying anything on these big cloud providers, not to mention falling into a trap and getting locked in into some of their specific and proprietary offerings.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
      GSE is an expensive service, who would have though?

These days I am getting extremely cautius deploying anything on these big cloud providers, not to mention falling into a trap and getting locked in into some of their specific and proprietary offerings.
      indeed, it's a trap. From the article:

The X.Org Foundation / FreeDesktop.org board was originally with Google's public cloud since they received credits from Google as well as at one point offered to fund an administrator to help with their hosting operations.
      they promise you things and when you're all well settled in their service they make you pay a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

indeed, it's a trap. From the article:

they promise you things and when you're all well settled in their service they make you pay a lot.
        Yeah, elastic pricing is a feature.

Comment

Amazing! Not only they save costs, but also it won't be Google anymore (privacy monsters).

Comment

Said it before, I'll say it again. Whoever is in charge of making these decisions is just plain dumb. If you're paying even $1k/month to buy into a cloud you'd be better off buying your own server and colocating it in a datacenter. Hell you might be able to beg up Red Hat or a university to colocate for free and if it's Red Hat maybe even give you a server. An organization as small as XOrg doesn't exactly need a cluster to be running CI on. A single 32 or 64 core EPYC is probably good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf
              "X.Org Reins In Their Cloud Costs, Switches Public Clouds"

.. sentence .. weird, .. missing something?
              No, "to rein (in)" is a verb.

Comment

Luke_Wolf I was thinking the same thing. $3-6K per month is enough to cover a lot of costs.

Think about what is really needed here -- A small room housing a server, someone there locally to hit the power button in case shit happens and to be on call to do enough to let an admin ssh in to set stuff up, and a commercial grade internet connection. I can't think of much more necessary. Possibly 2nd and 3rd systems for backup and redundancy. Heck, for a one time $10,000 fee and $1,600 a month I could be their provider. That's about $1200, $1300 for me and the rest going towards electricity and internet. 10K is enough to get an air conditioned server room built with a decently spec'd server put in it. All that's really needed is one of those $3000-5000 smaller 8'x8' tool sheds with insulation. Slap in a 200 AC unit and you have around $4800 left for a server.

That would almost cut their current bill in half. They could even expand my idea into a non-profit service that uses tool sheds ran by volunteers doing it for just enough to get by. That's something that could be expanded to more projects and more people. The Tool Shed Foundation. When the Cost of the Cloud Pours, Protect Yourself from the Elements in a Tool Shed. The open remote server housing industry. Y'all heard about it on Phoronix first.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post

No, "to rein (in)" is a verb.
                  I was refering to the second half of the sentence. "(by) Switching Public Cloud Service" would be more correct IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
                    Said it before, I'll say it again. Whoever is in charge of making these decisions is just plain dumb. If you're paying even $1k/month to buy into a cloud you'd be better off buying your own server and colocating it in a datacenter. Hell you might be able to beg up Red Hat or a university to colocate for free and if it's Red Hat maybe even give you a server. An organization as small as XOrg doesn't exactly need a cluster to be running CI on. A single 32 or 64 core EPYC is probably good enough.
                    Yes, it often feels like with all this cloud talk, people have forgotten what a physical server is or what it does.
                    For steady workloads, physical servers have always been the cheaper choice.

Comment

Working...
                    X