Waffle 1.7 Released For Runtime OpenGL / Windowing System Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waffle 1.7 Released For Runtime OpenGL / Windowing System Selection

Phoronix: Waffle 1.7 Released For Runtime OpenGL / Windowing System Selection

It's been a while since last having anything to report on Waffle as the library abstracting OpenGL and windowing system selection to run-time while this weekend marked its v1.7 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael Can you write about stuff in a less degrading way? Instead of writing the project off as being "stale", "feature complete" would be a better description and certainly more polite.

Comment

I actually used Waffle for my hobby project a couple of years back, when it was new. But I also implemented SDL2-support shortly after since I needed input and other things as well, and what Waffle needed a couple of hundred of lines of code to do SDL had collected in one function call.
      That doesn't mean one is better than the other, but for my use case SDL was easier to use, and did all I needed at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by zboszor View Post
        Michael Can you write about stuff in a less degrading way? Instead of writing the project off as being "stale", "feature complete" would be a better description and certainly more polite.
        It's not that degrading, you're just overly sensitive. Stale isn't a bad word for something that isn't making progress quickly. GIMP or XFCE are stale projects, for example. That doesn't mean they're bad, it means they're not getting the attention they need.
        Even stale bread has its uses.
        Last edited by schmidtbag; 08 March 2021, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zboszor View Post
          Did you actually go to their website? It is stale. Two graphics, some text, and some links.

I hope this starts being used more. It gets old having things like both Firefox for X11 and Firefox for Wayland in the app menu. Firefox for Let's Figure It Out At Runtime sounds much better.

Comment

Working...
          X