Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X.Org Foundation Bows Out For Google Summer of Code 2021

Phoronix: X.Org Foundation Bows Out For Google Summer of Code 2021

Over the years Google Summer of Code (GSoC) has resulted in some really great projects in the X.Org ecosystem from work in the early days on the open-source Radeon graphics driver stack to VKMS more recently to many other improvements especially as it pertains to open-source graphics drivers / Mesa. But for Google Summer of Code 2021 at least, the organization will not be participating...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't think lowering the amount of hours is negative per se, it allows for smaller scope tasks being handed out and a better chance they actually get done. On the other hand, it prevents doing anything big-ish.

When I was a student I looked into Gsoc one year but the proposals from projects were all quite big and optimistic, for any ordinary student I dare say undoable, you really need to be up there in the l33t club of coders or at least involved in the project before that. Just learning how to compile and develop for mesa can probably take weeks at that level. Then again, I guess the point of Gsoc is also to find the best and the brightest to apply and get the job.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
      I don't think lowering the amount of hours is negative per se, it allows for smaller scope tasks being handed out and a better chance they actually get done. On the other hand, it prevents doing anything big-ish.
      I did not look at the list of possible projects for X, but historically the GSOC has been spectacularly successful for many projects in picking off the smaller and medium scoped tasks, which mean a lot of what is left in some projects is the really really big-ish stuff for which GSOC is simply not sufficient (with the usual exceptions noted).

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        At this point it's not clear if Google will continue this lightened, less rigorous GSoC program beyond this year.
        Here's what happened: Someone made an in-depth proposal to GSoC that they wanted to organize a serious effort to close the security vulnerabilities that allow Google to peek into all aspects of your life. In response, Google is cutting and running.

Must keep these vulnerabilities active.

Comment

The changes to GSoC make it next to useless other than very tiny projects.

Comment

excuse me Sir,
            is this "news"?

Comment

Working...
            X