Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDMI Forum Closing Public Specification Access Is Hurting Open-Source GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Termy View Post
    Does HDMI have ANY advantage over DP? I know hdmi sady is the standard in TVs, but other than that i simply don't use that crap...
    I've heard packets travel slightly quicker on HDMI than DisplayPort, notably when talking about VR headsets. No idea how true that is though.

I've never seen a gaming laptop with DisplayPort, and I've had around 5 laptops (Intel Skylake / NVIDIA Maxwell and Pascal) over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r
      My RX 570 has 2 Display Ports but my monitor is only HDMI, so I have to buy a new monitor right? Or some DP->HDML connector?
      First, your RX 570 doesn't support HDMI 2.1 so that's out of the question. But there's an older FreeSync over HDMI "standard"... That only works if the monitor supports it of course, so do you have a FreeSync monitor?!

Comment

Originally posted by ernstp View Post

There are a couple of different variants here, your RX 480 definitively does not have HDMI 2.1... Which monitor did you buy?
        It won't work with a passive adapter, they can't translate these kinds of advanced features...
        It's a TV, the LG OLED55CX5LB. As I understand it, LG and some others worked with AMD to force FreeSync to work even with HDMI 2.0. I only saw some post somewhere stating that someone had got it to work with a passive adapter so I'm not majorly optimistic, just hoping for the best. The only reason I haven't tried it yet is because I need someone to repaper my wall and mount the new TV! Until then, it's still sitting in a box in the hall.

Comment

Learn your history folks. Apple doesn't pay royalties it doesn't have to. It charges royalties.
          Apple doesn't/didn't support BluRayvplayback over licensing costs and restrictions.
          Apple pushed for and only supports DP because they didn't want to pay HDMI royalties and restrictions. In fact in the early days DP was a straight up equivalent of HDMI. It's only recently that its come to surpass HDMI.

Comment

Originally posted by Ipkh View Post
            Learn your history folks. Apple doesn't pay royalties it doesn't have to. It charges royalties.
            Apple doesn't/didn't support BluRayvplayback over licensing costs and restrictions.
            Apple pushed for and only supports DP because they didn't want to pay HDMI royalties and restrictions. In fact in the early days DP was a straight up equivalent of HDMI. It's only recently that its come to surpass HDMI.
            It's the other way around. Display Port has had vastly more capability and bandwidth compared to HDMI until HDMI 2.1 came out in 2017.

Comment

Who was the A22holes lobbying for this?

I want to know, to not accidentally buy their products.

Comment

Fuck HDMI. All my homies uses Display​​​​Port! 😎

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
                  Does HDMI have ANY advantage over DP? I know hdmi sady is the standard in TVs, but other than that i simply don't use that crap...
                  Not many, but there are a few advantages.

1. It's ubiquitous on TVs
                  2. It supports a DRM scheme called HDCP

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post

It's a TV, the LG OLED55CX5LB. As I understand it, LG and some others worked with AMD to force FreeSync to work even with HDMI 2.0. I only saw some post somewhere stating that someone had got it to work with a passive adapter so I'm not majorly optimistic, just hoping for the best. The only reason I haven't tried it yet is because I need someone to repaper my wall and mount the new TV! Until then, it's still sitting in a box in the hall.
                    Going over or removing? Either way that's some water, a scraper, a stud finder, a drill, and up to a few hours. Sans the mount, we're talking $50 worth of crap at Lowes that you can return when you're done using...unless you step it up and rent a wallpaper steamer. Personally, long-term, I'm leery about mold and whatnot when using steamers on walls. You just don't know if steam will seep into some micro-crack and soak your insulation.

I'm gonna be painting the entire inside of my house sometime this year and that few days is gonna suck. The work itself is easy and I enjoy painting, it's moving all the damn furniture back and forth that I dread doing. Some of it's really heavy. Is that your biggest problem too? The moving of the things to do the work and not the work itself.

Don't remember where I saw them, but I've come across AMD FreeSync HDMI 2.0 posts before too...but it was always about Windows and never Linux. Hopefully you'll get lucky with an adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by Venemo View Post

Not many, but there are a few advantages.

1. It's ubiquitous on TVs
                      2. It supports a DRM scheme called HDCP
                      Displayport also supports HDCP.

Comment

Working...
                      X