Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDMI Forum Closing Public Specification Access Is Hurting Open-Source GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post
    LOL Thunderbolt is Intel's IP. Also, DisplayPort is what's running over USB-C in that case. None of which was invented by Apple.
    I didn't wrote that it's theirs. I wrote that they have an other much better solution.

Comment

Originally posted by piorunz View Post
      I like that tag in this article 🤣

"2 Hours Ago - Standards - HDMI Scheisse - 19 Comments"
      Michael next german Beer is on me - spot on tag

Comment

This is really BAD.
        Specially for the SBC and mini-ITX mobos...its the de facto video interface and now s*** from these greedy b*******.

One can only hope that this help push the SBC and Mini-ITX Mobo manufacturers in direction to DisplayPort...but will be difficult to them abandon HDMI because so many want to connect those Mobos to TVs.
        In my case is not an issue because i don't have really a TV...got a DVB-T2 decoder and that was that,problem solved
        Last edited by AJSB; 06 January 2021, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r
          My RX 570 has 2 Display Ports but my monitor is only HDMI, so I have to buy a new monitor right? Or some DP->HDML connector?
          There are DP to HDMI cables. I don't own any DP hardware.

Originally posted by Mez' View Post
          If you're using it as a multimedia device for office, gaming, photo editing, movies, music, etc..., you'll need an AV receiver and/or a TV. Then HDMI it is.
          My RX 560 is hooked to an AV receiver (TV pass-through and 5.1) in HDMI for entertainment (in the couch) and in DP to the PC monitor for office stuff (on a desk) with no sound (no monitor speakers).
          Bluetooth headphones are good enough for me. Bluetooth has limitations.
          Last edited by JS987; 06 January 2021, 07:42 AM.

Comment

I wonder what it would take for TV manufacturers to add at least one DP port on their TVs? Or perhaps they have no incentive to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Phoronix Article
              The X.Org Foundation is petitioning the HDMI Forum to at least allow some HDMI 2.1 specification information to be disclosed publicly so that open-source graphics drivers in turn can (legally) implement the functionality.
              What ?!?

Not the Wayland Folks ?!?

Last edited by AJSB; 06 January 2021, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                Perhaps the VESA consortium is concerned about low-cost non-member competitors who are based in countries with lax IP laws/enforcement. So, they don't want details leaking out that could be used to implement support in a product that doesn't have to pay royalties.
                VESA is behind display port not HDMI, so VESA has nothing to say about this

Comment

Originally posted by AJSB View Post

What ?!?

Not the Wayland Folks ?!?

Wayland dev doesn't have the social skill to behave like a normal human being yet

Comment

Guess we have to go back to old school volunteer reverse-engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by Chewi View Post
                      As someone who's just bought their first FreeSync screen, I was really surprised and saddened when I discovered this the other day. It's a ridiculous situation. My RX 480 has 4 DP outputs and just 1 HDMI and I gather I can at least use a passive adapter to make this work but I haven't tried it yet.
                      There are a couple of different variants here, your RX 480 definitively does not have HDMI 2.1... Which monitor did you buy?
                      It won't work with a passive adapter, they can't translate these kinds of advanced features...

Comment

Working...
                      X