Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDMI Forum Closing Public Specification Access Is Hurting Open-Source GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fortunately there is Sci-Hub.

Comment

Originally posted by tiffany View Post

Why so sure; They have their own solution (Thunderbolt) which is much better than the crap HDMI.

If you watch the Movie Industry it's not hard to find the suspect. Some MPAA member must believe that the open standard can be used to develop software so that we can decode the movies through HDMI. So closing the spec the FOSS community can't use that and they are fine by selling their movies.

The physical media is dead. No more blurays or replacements. Everything is through streaming. And a FOSS software won't pay royalties to have eg Dolby Atmos playback. By closing the specs we can't develop decoders and we must pay the certified devices.
      LOL Thunderbolt is Intel's IP. Also, DisplayPort is what's running over USB-C in that case. None of which was invented by Apple.

Originally posted by Termy View Post
      Does HDMI have ANY advantage over DP? I know hdmi sady is the standard in TVs, but other than that i simply don't use that crap...
      CEC, ARC and eARC is what's comming to mind. Other than that, I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
        I think the reason is simple - they don't care about anything but collecting patent fees. Open specification doesn't bring them any money, so they don't care.

It should speed up the demise of it, but HDMI is too proliferated and they control a big market (TVs). Once their control is broken (i.e. let's say TVs will get USB4 everywhere), HDMI will quickly become history.
        I'm not sure, but AFAIK, USB4 is only an "encapsulation protocol"; this is: it allows other protocols like USB3, HDMI, PCIe... to be delivered through the same connector at the same time (unlike the Alternate Modes system of USB-C, which, AFAIK, doesn't allow to switch from a protocol to another "on the fly"; this is: once the device negotiated to be PCIe, it will remain PCIe; you can't be PCIe for two frames, switch to USB3 and send four frames, then change to HDMI and send a quarter of display data... That is, AFAIK, what USB4 is for). So if you are just encapsulating HDMI inside USB4, I suspect that you will still have the same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
          Does HDMI have ANY advantage over DP? I know hdmi sady is the standard in TVs, but other than that i simply don't use that crap...
          HDMI is only useful if you need backward compatibility with DVI using a passive connector, otherwise DisplayPort seems much more reasonable.

Comment

And what about samsung, lg and other TV makers. they use linux kernel and base on the license they need to make linux kernel publicly available. So if they add something new from HDMI spec they can't make it public and linux kernel license request them to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by benpicco View Post
              Fortunately there is Sci-Hub.
              From my reading of the article, that won't help. HDMI doesn't want certain details to be freely available, even in the form of a driver. And if they came by those details though illegitimate means, that could be even worse trouble for the driver devs.

Comment

Originally posted by programmerjake View Post

HDMI is only useful if you need backward compatibility with DVI using a passive connector, otherwise DisplayPort seems much more reasonable.
                e.g. I have such a configuration...

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
                  it has to be that some company with fat cash to spend, paid out someone involved with the HDMI specification to take such an action. All of you can imagine which kind of companies would do that...
                  Perhaps the VESA consortium is concerned about low-cost non-member competitors who are based in countries with lax IP laws/enforcement. So, they don't want details leaking out that could be used to implement support in a product that doesn't have to pay royalties.

Comment

Originally posted by programmerjake View Post

Only useful for you.

If you're only using your computer in a pure office/gaming experience, maybe.

If you're using it as a multimedia device for office, gaming, photo editing, movies, music, etc..., you'll need an AV receiver and/or a TV. Then HDMI it is.
                    My RX 560 is hooked to an AV receiver (TV pass-through and 5.1) in HDMI for entertainment (in the couch) and in DP to the PC monitor for office stuff (on a desk) with no sound (no monitor speakers).

Comment

I like that tag in this article 🤣

"2 Hours Ago - Standards - HDMI Scheisse - 19 Comments"

Comment

Working...
                      X