Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDMI Forum Closing Public Specification Access Is Hurting Open-Source GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDMI Forum Closing Public Specification Access Is Hurting Open-Source GPU Drivers

Phoronix: HDMI Forum Closing Public Specification Access Is Hurting Open-Source GPU Drivers

It's been recently elaborated why the likes of FreeSync support over HDMI aren't coming to the open-source drivers, at least not yet... It stems from the decision by the HDMI Forum to prevent public access to the HDMI specification, which in turn is hurting open-source graphics drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Provide a reason. This is just dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Provide a reason. This is just dumb.
      it has to be that some company with fat cash to spend, paid out someone involved with the HDMI specification to take such an action. All of you can imagine which kind of companies would do that...

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post

it has to be that some company with fat cash to spend, paid out someone involved with the HDMI specification to take such an action. All of you can imagine which kind of companies would do that...
        Wild guess.

Apple.

Comment

I think the reason is simple - they don't care about anything but collecting patent fees. Open specification doesn't bring them any money, so they don't care.

It should speed up the demise of it, but HDMI is too proliferated and they control a big market (TVs). Once their control is broken (i.e. let's say TVs will get USB4 everywhere), HDMI will quickly become history.

Comment

I don't think that this is a good idea from them. I can't imagine the insane amounts of diy boards like the Raspberry Pi etc to pay for HDMI and write closed source drivers. They will go with DisplayPort, which gets more and more convinient thanks to USB-C.

You might say who cares about these boards, but I guess a lot of engineering happens on those boards. Hopefully that results in TVs having USB-C DP as well, and we get a transition to DP.
            Last edited by 9Strike; 06 January 2021, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Wild guess.

Apple.
              Why so sure; They have their own solution (Thunderbolt) which is much better than the crap HDMI.

If you watch the Movie Industry it's not hard to find the suspect. Some MPAA member must believe that the open standard can be used to develop software so that we can decode the movies through HDMI. So closing the spec the FOSS community can't use that and they are fine by selling their movies.

The physical media is dead. No more blurays or replacements. Everything is through streaming. And a FOSS software won't pay royalties to have eg Dolby Atmos playback. By closing the specs we can't develop decoders and we must pay the certified devices.

Comment

As someone who's just bought their first FreeSync screen, I was really surprised and saddened when I discovered this the other day. It's a ridiculous situation. My RX 480 has 4 DP outputs and just 1 HDMI and I gather I can at least use a passive adapter to make this work but I haven't tried it yet.

Comment

I guess it's time for someone with access to one of those "costs as much as a Ferrari" high-bandwidth signal analyzers to step up and begin reverse-engineering. Show those HDMI people where they can stick their spec.

Comment

Does HDMI have ANY advantage over DP? I know hdmi sady is the standard in TVs, but other than that i simply don't use that crap...

Comment

Working...
                    X