Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDMI Forum Closing Public Specification Access Is Hurting Open-Source GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I haven't played with such toys, in theory you need to output DP signal (I assume that DP-DP works fine, but here you're getting some encapsulated HDMI over DP) and have it converted to HDMI. Maybe some active adapter?

Comment

• Originally posted by ozeszty View Post
      I haven't played with such toys, in theory you need to output DP signal (I assume that DP-DP works fine, but here you're getting some encapsulated HDMI over DP) and have it converted to HDMI. Maybe some active adapter?
      I just try to use this adapter: https://www.amazon.com/-/en/dp/B0B2ZF95KC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_detail s. Again without much success, because I still can not select 4k@120Hz. At this point I'm starting to blame the open-source AMD driver not even implemented 4k@120hz on displayport. Or.. maybe my AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 just doesn't support this refresh rate at 4k? Which I doubt, but maybe it's just my videocard?!? Stupid Vega.
      Last edited by danger89; 06 June 2024, 07:02 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by danger89 View Post
        I actually tried buying a display port to hdmi adapter in the hope I can fake the system and set the refresh rate to 120hz at 4k. In vain, too bad.
        Did you make sure it's a real converter, and not just a Display Port Dual-Mode adapter?

Originally posted by ozeszty View Post
        here you're getting some encapsulated HDMI over DP) and have it converted to HDMI.
        That's what Display Port Dual-Mode is. Supposedly, most DisplayPort implementations support Dual-Mode, even if they lack the logo. This also explains why most adapters are so inexpensive.

Originally posted by danger89 View Post
        maybe my AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 just doesn't support this refresh rate at 4k? Which I doubt, but maybe it's just my videocard?!?
        It would be worth hunting down a copy of the specs, before pursuing the matter, further. I did a quick search of AMD's website, but didn't find them.

This review mentions 4k @ 120 Hz, but it's not clear if they're just listing it as a theoretical possibility. I didn't check all of their benchmarks, but I did notice one where their fps at 4k suspiciously topped out at exactly 60. Given the review's age, it's likely they only tested with a 60 Hz 4k monitor.

Our AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 review confirms that the company achieved major performance improvements over their last-generation Polaris and Fiji cards: Vega is faster than the GTX 1080. We tested six different performance configurations of the Vega 64, with surprising results.

Last edited by coder; 06 June 2024, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by coder View Post
          Did you make sure it's a real converter, and not just a Display Port Dual-Mode adapter?

That's what Display Port Dual-Mode is. Supposedly, most DisplayPort implementations support Dual-Mode, even if they lack the logo. This also explains why most adapters are so inexpensive.
          Ow thanks for pointing this out! I didn't knew there were even different kind of adapters (active and passive once). The amazon product page doesn't mention anything regarding dual-mode nor passive/active. I bet it's just using dual-mode. But again, it's fully nontransparent.

Originally posted by coder View Post
          It would be worth hunting down a copy of the specs, before pursuing the matter, further. I did a quick search of AMD's website, but didn't find them.

Yeah so... The Vega 64 videocard has HDMI 2.0b and DisplayPort 1.4a outputs according to the spec, which can only do 4k @ 60Hz unless you have Display Stream Compression (DSC) enabled. But of course this card also doesn't support DSC as far as I know. I'm now actually starting to blame my videocard at this point, despite that this card isn't that old.
          I wasn't expecting that my AMD videocard was causing the bottleneck in terms for 4k @ 120Hz. At this point I'm starting to blame my card.

Comment

I'm now actually starting to blame my videocard at this point, despite that this card isn't that old.
            I wasn't expecting that my AMD videocard was causing the bottleneck in terms for 4k @ 120Hz.
            Uh, okay. When it launched, I think 4k gaming monitors were barely even a "thing".

Comment

Ow thanks for pointing this out! I didn't knew there were even different kind of adapters (active and passive once). The amazon product page doesn't mention anything regarding dual-mode nor passive/active. I bet it's just using dual-mode. But again, it's fully nontransparent.

Yeah so... The Vega 64 videocard has HDMI 2.0b and DisplayPort 1.4a outputs according to the spec, which can only do 4k @ 60Hz unless you have Display Stream Compression (DSC) enabled. But of course this card also doesn't support DSC as far as I know. I'm now actually starting to blame my videocard at this point, despite that this card isn't that old.
              I wasn't expecting that my AMD videocard was causing the bottleneck in terms for 4k @ 120Hz. At this point I'm starting to blame my card.
              Get active (keyword for searching) DP-HDMI 2.1 cable/adapter first. The one you linked looks like DP++ (passive), like coder wrote.‚Äč
              GPU indeed might be the other weak(est) link, I assumed you tested DP-DP.

Comment

Working...
              X