Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HDMI Forum Closing Public Specification Access Is Hurting Open-Source GPU Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well it's a patented standard, what would you expect. But of course, we still don't have TVs and consoles with DisplayPort/Thunderbolt 4, because HDMI is "the industry standard". Yay...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mez' View Post
      I agree with you. But I've always been on the pragmatic side.
      Would it be better if we can slowly adopt a different standard that is free and open source? Sure. But in the meantime, we have to live with what already exists and is here to stay for another 10 or 15 years given the market penetration of the equipment.
      Absolutely agree, I have a TV I use for movie-wathing and light gaming when friends come around on weekends, and it's hdmi only. I'm not replacing that TV anytime soon.
      However on my personal system I have a 144hz displayport monitor I got recently, I was able to run parabola, and I have no HDMI driver on the system, it's actually pretty sweet.
      For the meantime we have to adapt with what we got, but hopefully the future is brighter for better open standards.

Comment

Working...
      X