Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arcan Focuses In On Surpassing Feature Parity With X.Org, Releases Durden 0.6 Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcan Focuses In On Surpassing Feature Parity With X.Org, Releases Durden 0.6 Desktop

Phoronix: Arcan Focuses In On Surpassing Feature Parity With X.Org, Releases Durden 0.6 Desktop

Arcan, the rather unique and innovative display server in development for about five years, is now matching or even surpassing the feature parity with the X.Org Server and have also issued a new release of their "Durden" desktop environment build atop Arcan...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just wish this was the mainstream solution....

Some important things in the Wayland protocol are marked as unstable and mostly GNOME specific, like IME and gamma control...

If you are focusing on having more features than X11, at least don't add the primitive rendering ones... (or some others nobody uses anymore)
    Last edited by tildearrow; 20 December 2020, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Oh no.. Another one 🤣

Comment

This seems to be 'the candidate' for X replacement..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
          This seems to be 'the candidate' for X replacement..
          This is more akin to make a Desktop on top of Unreal or Unity, don't expect it to replace Gnome/Plasma/etc. any time soon BUT could be great for game/VR/Infoteiment UX design

Comment

Now if gtk and qt were ported to this display server...

Comment

Still waiting for a viable replacement for X.

Comment

I would laugh so hard if this project becomes more stable than wayland in less time.
                I fear it won't gain traction in the linux world, but who knows, and of course maybe the BSDs are a little more open...

Comment

Originally posted by JackLilhammers View Post
                  I would laugh so hard if this project becomes more stable than wayland in less time.
                  I fear it won't gain traction in the linux world, but who knows, and of course maybe the BSDs are a little more open...
                  There is a few things to take note of. Arcan is not compatible with existing X11 windows managers and compositors. This is in fact required to fix the security faults.

They are working on A12 protocol as another possible replacement to X11.

A12 and Wayland both basically require existing Windows managers of X11 to be scrapped.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

There is a few things to take note of. Arcan is not compatible with existing X11 windows managers and compositors. This is in fact required to fix the security faults.

They are working on A12 protocol as another possible replacement to X11.

A12 and Wayland both basically require existing Windows managers of X11 to be scrapped.
                    Fair enough. And thank you for the clarification.

I'm really hyped for wayland. I just can't stand its fanboys

Comment

Working...
                    X