XWayland 21.1 Proposed In Splitting Off Releases From The X.Org Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
    Per the "Impact for other DDXen" section of my proposal, little if anything should change for the rest of the xserver tree. Presumably there will continue to be 1.20.z bug-fix releases, until maybe somebody steps up for a new major release. (We'll probably stop backporting non-critical Xwayland specific fixes to 1.20 though)
    Okay, maybe I over-read what was removed,. I meant that in scenario where everything else than XWayland is removed from master everyone wins since with 1.21 created from master the ABI towards DDX would change and nVidia driver (and other out-of-tree DDX) would break until they adapt. This understanding was based on a discussion a year and a half ago on #dri-devel when I was asking about a release since there's not really backportable features in master needed for XWayland to function well finally.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Step up for a release if you are brave enough to maintain that monstrosity for the next years.
      Is that even possible? I mean: I get what you're trying to say, just like "why don't you fix issue xyz instead of complaining here". But is it even possible for an "outsider" so step up and do a release? Or does it require that you're part of the X team? 'Cause there's a big difference between opening a merge request with some fixes/improvements and getting team approval to release something...

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
        Actually it will not even rot in hell if I read this MR right. It will just stop existing. Everything else than XWayland becomes officially maintenance-moded. All the post-current-release regressions will simply disappear and never have to be fixed. Everyone wins.
        Except users. I mean: GNOME, Sway and Enlightenment are the only useable Wayland DE's/WM's currently. KDE Plasma, Deepin, Cinnamon, Xfce, etc. are still not at that level and it will take some years for them to get there. So quite a few Linux users will be stuck with a maintenance-moded display server for some years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Except a tiny amount of users that nobody cares about.
          Fixed it for you.

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
          Is that even possible? I mean: I get what you're trying to say, just like "why don't you fix issue xyz instead of complaining here". But is it even possible for an "outsider" so step up and do a release? Or does it require that you're part of the X team? 'Cause there's a big difference between opening a merge request with some fixes/improvements and getting team approval to release something...
          What an odd question, why wouldn't it be? If for whatever reason that wasn't possible, you could just fork (just like X.org did).

Probably way easier to just accept reality which is that there aren't any developers on the planet that are interested in doing so and there isn't any need for it to begin with.
          Last edited by arokh; 19 December 2020, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Fractional scaling under Plasma5 Wayland is still pretty horrible experience, interaction clicks with tasks are off, everything is blurry... disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              Okay, maybe I over-read what was removed,. I meant that in scenario where everything else than XWayland is removed from master [...]
              My proposal is about stable branches for Xwayland-only releases. It doesn’t affect the master branch in any way.

Comment

Typo:

X.Org Server's current "master branch"

Should be "main branch"

/s
                Originally posted by cb88 View Post

I'm gonna call it master branch harder just because of your politically correct nonsense. ... Who wants to take bets on how many years before Master Lock's management gets stupid and changes their name.

Words said innocently hurt no one... authoritarian censorship of words does. This isn't even thought crime, its criminalization of innocent usage of words, based on theoretical offenses that don't even actually exist. Most people hash tagging offenses are "privileged" white girls.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post
                  If for whatever reason that wasn't possible, you could just fork (just like X.org did).
                  Sure, but then distros have to accept said fork in order to get X.org updated in their distros and that won't be an easy task.

Comment

Originally posted by Raka555 View Post
                    Brute force attempt to kill X ...
                    lol, wanna maintain it?

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
                      A quick google search and you'll find VLC works on Wayland.
                      this is what I tried;

HTML Code:
                      apt install vlc && export QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland; vlc
                      VLC media player 3.0.9.2 Vetinari (revision 3.0.9.2-0-gd4c1aefe4d)
                      [000056061adfe5b0] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
                      Warning: Ignoring XDG_SESSION_TYPE=wayland on Gnome. Use QT_QPA_PLATFORM=wayland to run on Wayland anyway.
                      [000056061ae9c5b0] main playlist: playlist is empty
                      QObject::~QObject: Timers cannot be stopped from another thread
                      xeyes agrees with the Warning and indicates VLC is using xwayland.
                      additionally video output is mangled if anything other than X11 is selected.
                      So then I tried;

HTML Code:
                      snap install --channel=edge vlc && snap run vlc
                      VLC media player 4.0.0-dev Otto Chriek (revision 4.0.0-dev-14289-g6ae50cc4c9)
                      [000055e183512050] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
                      [000055e1835e4e30] skins2 interface error: cannot instantiate dialogs provider
                      Remote control interface initialized. Type `help' for help.
                      So unless there is a deb/AppImage/Flatpak VLC is hiding somewhere compiling from source is my next option

Comment

Working...
                      X