Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Open-Source Graphics Driver Updates For Linux 5.11 Have Lots Of Intel + AMD Presents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source Graphics Driver Updates For Linux 5.11 Have Lots Of Intel + AMD Presents

Phoronix: Open-Source Graphics Driver Updates For Linux 5.11 Have Lots Of Intel + AMD Presents

While there are a lot of driver improvements throughout, as usual those on Intel HD/UHD/Iris/Xe Graphics and AMD Radeon graphics with their first-rate open-source graphics drivers have a lot of grand improvements to find with the forthcoming Linux 5.11 cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i hope they do something about intel 3gen/4gen graphic driver for one last time

Comment

Feels so good to be an Intel / AMD user these days!
      I feel a bit bad for Nvidia users, but just a bit, since most of the time they say they are happy with the proprietary driver.

Comment

maybe header defines should not be counted as code for a more reasonable overview?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Feels so good to be an Intel / AMD user these days!
          I feel a bit bad for Nvidia users, but just a bit, since most of the time they say they are happy with the proprietary driver.
          Totally agree. I highly recommend doing a side by side visual comparison of rendering quality, most times it's subtle, you have to stare at it look for little differences, but sometimes it's blatant. Plus nVidia drivers have so many multi-monitor bugs and drawbacks (some literally decades old), I can't see how anybody with more than one monitor could possibly stand using nVidia hardware on linux, it's just too unbearable...

Comment

Neither airlied or agd5f's drm-next branches are working for me (including what's been submitted for the merge window) on my Tonga or Raven systems

The last thing I see before things appear to freeze is fb0: switching to amdgpudrmfb from EFI VGA Everything still continues to log

Bisected back to

Code:
            f5a89a5cae812a39993be32e74c8ed7856b1e2b2 is the first bad commit
            commit f5a89a5cae812a39993be32e74c8ed7856b1e2b2
            Author: Dave Airlie <[email protected]>
            Date: Thu Oct 29 13:59:08 2020 +1000

drm/amdgpu/ttm: use multihop

This removes the code to move resources directly between
            SYSTEM and VRAM in favour of using the core ttm mulithop code.

Signed-off-by: Dave Airlie <[email protected]>
            Acked-by: Daniel Vetter <[email protected]>
            Reviewed-by: Christian König <[email protected]>
            Link: https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/msgid/[email protected]

drivers/gpu/drm/amd/amdgpu/amdgpu_ttm.c | 136 +++-----------------------------
            1 file changed, 12 insertions(+), 124 deletions(-)

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Totally agree. I highly recommend doing a side by side visual comparison of rendering quality, most times it's subtle, you have to stare at it look for little differences, but sometimes it's blatant. Plus nVidia drivers have so many multi-monitor bugs and drawbacks (some literally decades old), I can't see how anybody with more than one monitor could possibly stand using nVidia hardware on linux, it's just too unbearable...
              Nvidia multi-monitor works fine on Fedora, I've no issues with my EVA Maxwell 960 GTX. Ubuntu 18.04 also works fairly well. CentOS Stream 8, otoh... well, sometimes both monitors light up at boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Aryma View Post
                i hope they do something about intel 3gen/4gen graphic driver for one last time
                Adding upstream gm45 h264 decoding support. I wait so long ...
                Everything else works fine.. or?

Comment

Originally posted by camel_case View Post

Adding upstream gm45 h264 decoding support. I wait so long ...
                  Everything else works fine.. or?
                  i should say 7gen/7.5gen IGPU

Comment

I must say I am a happy Nvidia proprietary driver user... I dont have to hack, cut, compile or beg Linux to run with it, it just works. As an added bonus I also get hardware that tends to kick AMD in the teeth. Though this latest gen from AMD is much more impressive and I explored converting, but unfortunately they still have nothing compared to CUDA and thats where I spent the vast majority of my time these days.

Comment

Working...
                    X