Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two More X.Org Server Security Advisories Issued - Possible Privilege Escalation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
    All you folks that are running x server privileged
    Pretty sure that's called LightDM. Or SDDM. Or GDM. (Though I think GDM can be configured to run using Wayland, but don't quote me on it).

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post
      Pretty sure that's called LightDM. Or SDDM. Or GDM. (Though I think GDM can be configured to run using Wayland, but don't quote me on it).
      On Fedora since the 25th release, GDM runs on Wayland by default.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
        All you folks that are running x server privileged and that are allowing black hat hackers to sit at your computer and work on your xkeyboard settings - you need to stop doing that. Bad things could happen.
        Did you just security shame me ? How dare you !

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
          More like 8 years, no one took Wayland seriously at first because it was a pet project (and this also includes the Linux community, i.e. see Ubuntu with Mir). Its only somewhat recently that a "decision" was made wrt Wayland, at which point NVidia did provide solutions which LInux OS dev community largely ignored and/or didn't like.
          No they did not provide a solution for desktop usage.
          https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...tem&px=MTgxMDE
          We can go back to the 2014 presentation at that presentation Nvidia was asked about X11 support on eglstreams the answer was no you are not getting. The 12 years is a solid figure because year at X11 conference it was announced that the X11 security issues were not fixable. Only way would be to wrap something around the outside of X11 to mitigate the risk.

Please note the Nvidia answer here in 2014 is that if you wanted to run X11 applications you would just keep on run the x11 server on bare metal.

It would have been completely and utterly stupid for NVidia to take Wayland seriously in the earlier years especially considering Linux's general tendency for NIH.
          No AMD and Intel were able to work on unified method in the direction of world where X11 server comes removed from bare metal. Nvidia has been the one doing NIH in this problem.

This is more of an issue with applications not using more up to date API's which provide support for HiDPI so its not entirely Windows fault here (Mac has a distinct advantage in that their Quartz/typography library which every MacOS GUI app uses already had support for HiDPI from the get go)
          This about MacOS GUI is a pure lie.
          The pixel density of Retina displays is so high that your eyes can't detect individual pixels at a normal viewing distance. This gives content incredible detail and dramatically improves your viewing experience.

Some apps that work best in low-resolution mode or that work only in low-resolution mode will have this mode already turned on, and in that case you might not be able to turn it off.
          There are still quite a few MacOS applications that don't support HiDPI at all and pure depend on up-scaling. So MacOS GUI app does not have HiDPI support automatically from the get go at all so developer has to update the applications to support HiDPI.

The reality here is Mac OS and Windows have never been able to migrate all applications to new up to date APIs. Nvidia with the way they have done their eglstrreams support is asking the Linux world todo the near impossible say the only way it usable is if all applications are wayland.

The reality is Nvidia has been stubborn on not offering a solution for XWayland. Of course nvidia offered solution on the table is not going to support legacy applications might as well put presure on Nvidia to support the open source Nvidia driver that does support XWayland and cross fingers you get it. This was plan A. We are now to plan B what is sorry Nvidia users your performance is going to be horrible due to having to use like Zink because Nvidia has never provided a solution for legacy applications on Wayland and has in fact refused to.

Comment

FWIW, Slackware Current already got Xorg 1.20.10 ...

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              12 years are too much, as well.
              X was 12 years old in 1996 (initial version) / 1999 (X11). Do you remember what X was like in 1999? I do, it was most certainly worse than Wayland now. It didn't have most of the things yet that people take for granted now.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                This about MacOS GUI is a pure lie.
                The pixel density of Retina displays is so high that your eyes can't detect individual pixels at a normal viewing distance. This gives content incredible detail and dramatically improves your viewing experience.

Some apps that work best in low-resolution mode or that work only in low-resolution mode will have this mode already turned on, and in that case you might not be able to turn it off.
                This is wrong, its saying that some apps may not look good when using HiDPI displays, not that it "doesn't work", you are twisting what is said there. Also do not that my comment was made in context if you use the official MacOS GUI (i.e. cocoa) toolkit as per their human interface guidelines, if you use something like GTK on mac then yeah its going to look shit no matter what.

So yeah, of course mac cannot say that every app will automatically work because not every MacOS app uses the coca toolkit, most do but then you also have stuff like QT/GTK which deliberately use their own toolkit interface.

Comment

This is wrong, its saying that some apps may not look good when using HiDPI displays, not that it "doesn't work", you are twisting what is said there. Also do not that my comment was made in context if you use the official MacOS GUI (i.e. cocoa) toolkit as per their human interface guidelines,
                  This is wrong the original human interface guidelines with Cocoa don't include HiDPI support. There is a flag you set cocoa application that means it will run in low-resolution upscale mode no matter what.

So you want all the stuff as the developer with a Cocoa application you have to change. Read above. Does apple human interface guidelines mandate you must use these APis the answer is no its perfectly legal to use the old non HiDPI and set the scale me flag.

Its a pure lie like it or not. HiDPI Mac OS applications have to be coded that way. Other wise they are not HiDPI applications just being non HiDPI applications being upscale. This is not that you are using QT/GTK some other toolkit this is all toolkits on Mac OS include Cocoa.

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

This is wrong the original human interface guidelines with Cocoa don't include HiDPI support. There is a flag you set cocoa application that means it will run in low-resolution upscale mode no matter what.

So you want all the stuff as the developer with a Cocoa application you have to change. Read above. Does apple human interface guidelines mandate you must use these APis the answer is no its perfectly legal to use the old non HiDPI and set the scale me flag.

Its a pure lie like it or not. HiDPI Mac OS applications have to be coded that way. Other wise they are not HiDPI applications just being non HiDPI applications being upscale. This is not that you are using QT/GTK some other toolkit this is all toolkits on Mac OS include Cocoa.
                    I meant that as an application developer if you want to satisfy the human interface guidelines using Coca was the easiest way to do so and supporting HiDPI in Cocoa was ridiculously easy because Coca abstracts away the font rasterization. The point is if you use the standard Cocoa API's for drawing ( i.e. see https://developer.apple.com/library/...APIs/APIs.html ) you didn't need to do any non trivial changes. In most cases you just needed to set NSHighResolutionCapable to true in your build (I know this because at the time at the place where I worked, the developers doing an Apple GUI app had to deal with this).

Comment

I meant that as an application developer if you want to satisfy the human interface guidelines using Coca was the easiest way to do so and supporting HiDPI in Cocoa was ridiculously easy because Coca abstracts away the font rasterization. The point is if you use the standard Cocoa API's for drawing ( i.e. see https://developer.apple.com/library/...APIs/APIs.html ) you didn't need to do any non trivial changes. In most cases you just needed to set NSHighResolutionCapable to true in your build (I know this because at the time at the place where I worked, the developers doing an Apple GUI app had to deal with this).
                      GTK and QT also both abstracts away the font rasterization if you use it. Most cases don't mean all cases.

human interface guidelines using Cocoa. There is in fact no requirement to do HiDPI todo it. I have had to deal with legacy company Apple applications. All of them satisfy the human interface guidlelines all of them are locked to scale up mode due to different bits of code here and there that was historic correct that results in miss placed buttons and other things if you change them to HighResolution. Cocoa its well and truly possible to code stuff with exact pixel alignments.

Comment

Working...
                      X