Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediatek DRM Driver Adding MT8167 Support In Linux 5.11

Phoronix: Mediatek DRM Driver Adding MT8167 Support In Linux 5.11

The Mediatek MT8167 SoC was announced four years ago already while for the Linux 5.11 kernel in early 2021 will finally be display support via the open-source Mediatek DRM driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Michael
    The Mediatek MT8167 SoC was announced four years ago already while for the Linux 5.11 kernel in early 2021 will finally be display support via the open-source Mediatek DRM driver.
    As a former journalist I can't just simply overlook this. >_<

Comment

I'm surprised that manufacturers are still using chips that don't have upstream Linux support. The extra maintenance burden must be a serious PITA...

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
        I'm surprised that manufacturers are still using chips that don't have upstream Linux support. The extra maintenance burden must be a serious PITA...
        for some reason some of the small ones never upgrade android version, this non free drivers are a pain in the ass. I remember the intel atom who come with this powevr gpu... a complety nightmare in all systems

Comment

Is it just me or are the PowerVR guys (whomever owns them now) absolute idiots for not supporting Linux better. The tablet market will never get anywhere outside of Apple without solid Linux support. From my perspective it should be about driving sales and design ins.

Comment

Working...
          X