Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Frame-Buffer Console To Drop Accelerated Scrolling Since It's Full Of Bugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Frame-Buffer Console To Drop Accelerated Scrolling Since It's Full Of Bugs

Phoronix: Linux Frame-Buffer Console To Drop Accelerated Scrolling Since It's Full Of Bugs

The Linux kernel's frame-buffer console (FBCON) is set to drop accelerated scrolling support since it isn't widely used and now found to be "full of bugs" thus pushing it for removal...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Then how am I going to scroll when I cannot use the graphical session? :<

(please do NOT say tmux or screen because when I need it I have not started it)
    (also please do not say kmscon because that is a userspace program, and I would strongly prefer a kernel module since it can survive even during a kernel panic)

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      Then how am I going to scroll when I cannot use the graphical session? :<

(please do NOT say tmux or screen because when I need it I have not started it)
      (also please do not say kmscon because that is a userspace program, and I would strongly prefer a kernel module since it can survive even during a kernel panic)
      The same way you scrolled before. Did you even read the article?

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post

The same way you scrolled before. Did you even read the article?
        I did read the article, but wasn't scrolling removed in 5.9? I thought?

Did I miss something?

Comment

Did I miss something?
          This is about accelerated scrolling.

Following initial discussions it looks like this change could happen for Linux 5.11 where Nouveau / OMAPDRM / GMA500 would be affected and resort to always redrawing the console when scrolling.
          So instead of being able to use GPU features to scroll, they have now to redraw when user scrolls.

At least that's how I understood the article.

Comment

I did read the article, but wasn't scrolling removed in 5.9? I thought?

Did I miss something?
            Soft & accelerated scrolling is dropped.
            You can still scroll. But it won't be, quoting "Zohan", "Silky smooth".

Comment

imagine after 30 years of development each time someone looks closer at any given subsystem in this single adresspace monolithic kernel, they find it full of bugs and delete it.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
                imagine after 30 years of development each time someone looks closer at any given subsystem in this single adresspace monolithic kernel, they find it full of bugs and delete it.
                But millions of eyes ... yeah, right. Speaks volumes about the Open Source development model.

Comment

Next step: FBCON to be removed.

KMSCon fork or similar? New kernel console subsystem from scratch?

FBCON is becoming less useful and more limited, there needs to be a more modern replacement without the cruft. Something le the Wayland of console/ terminal but with secure networking and serial port built in.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

But millions of eyes ... yeah, right. Speaks volumes about the Open Source development model.
                    Yes, I'm sure you'd much prefer nobody saw the code at all and they just left all those bugs in there.

Comment

Working...
                    X