No announcement yet.

Adam Jackson On The State Of The X.Org Server In 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reality might be that Wayland is better in every way from an implementation point of view, but until all the popular desktop environments and window managers support it then X is not dead. X might be dead to RedHat, but as long as others are still maintaining forks (e.g. OpenBSD's Xenocara) then again it isn't dead.

Comment

Originally posted by higgslagrangian View Post
      But I don't understand! So many people in this forum (obviously more qualified than ajax himself) said that X is so much better than Wayland!

/s
      If I recall, we were saying it's more usable for many things and more useful overall.
      That does not mean it's better, or that it's the future. It is clearly neither of those things.

If we all could have at least somewhat seamlessly switched over to using Wayland about 5 or 6 years ago, nobody would be concerned about x11 going away by this point.

Comment

"So, is Xorg abandoned? To the extent that that means using it to actually control the display, and not just keep X apps running, I'd say yes."

Speak for yourself, AJax. Wayland still sucks, especially if you're using KDE and/or Nvidia driver. Trying to run Wayland would be "choosing to make my life worse". I'll try again in 5 years. Maybe KDE will get its stuff together and maybe Wayland devs will stop being passive-aggressive dicks toward the Nvidia (and other) binary drivers.

Comment

But I don't understand! So many people in this forum (obviously more qualified than ajax himself) said that X is so much better than Wayland!

/s
          What's better for the user isn't better for the programmer. Especially when it comes to legacy code.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            "So, is Xorg abandoned? To the extent that that means using it to actually control the display, and not just keep X apps running, I'd say yes."

Speak for yourself, AJax. Wayland still sucks, especially if you're using KDE and/or Nvidia driver. Trying to run Wayland would be "choosing to make my life worse". I'll try again in 5 years. Maybe KDE will get its stuff together and maybe Wayland devs will stop being passive-aggressive dicks toward the Nvidia (and other) binary drivers.
            what other binary driver? And it's Nvidia who doesn't play nicely together.

Comment

/s
              Those so many people keep regurgitating the same bs on this and other forums too. Someone should pay them for putting in the overtime.

Comment

Instead to waste their time they should commit themselves to the switch to Wayland.

Comment

/s
                  Apples to oranges. It just means the personal experience those people have is worse, for whatever reason.

Comment

Because they are not ready for Wayland. It's exactly the opposite. A lot of software is not ready for what is better, that is Wayland.

Comment

Nobody from Linux gives a shit about nvidia and their binary blob. Keep dreaming or hire at nvidia and bring them Wayland support. It's proprietary crap after all, so it's an only way to fix it. AMD, Intel already decided how they want to support Wayland and nvidia has nothing to say here. What a fucking aggressive stance from nvidia fanboys.

Or better help KDE, because it seems someone messed up their priorities. It came sooner than they thought.

Comment

Working...
                      X