Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam Jackson On The State Of The X.Org Server In 2020

Phoronix: Adam Jackson On The State Of The X.Org Server In 2020

Adam Jackson who on Red Hat's Graphics Team served as the X.Org Server release manager for many years and being heavily involved in the xorg-server development and related components as shared his views on whether the X.Org Server is "abandonware."..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I do not doubt at all that Wayland is the future, I just hope to see compatibility and stability reach the level that we have on X11, and that features like screen sharing, recording and remote control become available in applications on Wayland just like on X.

Comment

Eventually everything comes to an end. It isn't like we don't have a replacement in the wings.

I look t ti this way, there are people that try to keep CP/M, various commodore systems, Apple 2's and other systems alive. Good for them, but you can't expect the mainstream to work on such outdated systems. The ""UNIX"" world needs to move on, which is happening but it shouldn't happen over night.

I really like what I see in Linux of late! Is it a desktop system that will replace Windows and MacOS - not yet and maybe it never gets there. However Linux won't have a chance in hell of getting there is we don't continue to improve everything about the platform. So yeah let X-org server have a dignified death and hope that the chosen route for the future is the right one.

Comment

I don't think you need to write abandonware in quotes when you're quoting yourself like that

Comment

RIP unix bearded veterans

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
            I don't think you need to write abandonware in quotes when you're quoting yourself like that
            Well actually was quoting what Vetter originally said as the basis for that article. That is what led me to write that prior article in the first place and using the term abandonware.
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

But I don't understand! So many people in this forum (obviously more qualified than ajax himself) said that X is so much better than Wayland!

/s

Comment

Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
                RIP unix bearded veterans
                what has unix to do with any of this though?

Comment

Originally posted by dylanmtaylor View Post
                  I do not doubt at all that Wayland is the future, I just hope to see compatibility and stability reach the level that we have on X11, and that features like screen sharing, recording and remote control become available in applications on Wayland just like on X.
                  These purposely don't belong in the Wayland protocol though. They belong elsewhere and as we've seen that has ended up being dbus/polkit services.

Comment

Originally posted by higgslagrangian View Post
                    But I don't understand! So many people in this forum (obviously more qualified than ajax himself) said that X is so much better than Wayland!

/s
                    I can hear them whining in the distance. Music to my ears.

Comment

Working...
                    X